Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carb whoa's solved. Interesting thing...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb whoa's solved. Interesting thing...

was that the reason I've had so many troubles with this bike since I first posted here a couple years ago is that the rebuild kit I bought "from the Suzuki dealer" had the wrong pilot jet in the packages. So beware when you buy rebuild kits you are getting all the right parts.

To recap, I commited the cardinal sin a few years ago and let my bike sit for about 3 or 4 years (that's how long the marriage lasted ; } :roll: ) and when I could finally spend my own money again I decided to revive this beast. So I headed off to the Suzuki dealer to get the carb kits (since there was actually green gas in the bowls by then) and proceeded with the rebuilds. It started and ran, but really bad. I tried everything known to man (and the GS Resources) to get this to run correctly. At times I got it to run good, but the gas mileage was poor and I was getting that way too having spent a small fortune on other things. I finally succumbed to the pressure (in my head) and took it to a local motorcycle shop in Seattle (initials SCC, if you want to puzzle that out) and asked them to tune it up. Make it run right. You guys are the experts. All that good stuff. So, 24 hours or so later I'm told it's done and to come get it. $30... are you sure? Yep. So on I go and it does run "different" (thinking that's maybe a good thing) and so I head on home and... barely make it. I limp into the garage and call the guy and am told to bring it back. Yeah, like that'll ever happen. Now work takes over and I can't get back to it for... another year and a half. But this time I treat the gas and "expect" I'll get to it come spring. Well, during the winter I buy all these special tools (carb stix, right angle idle jet adjuster, syncro tool, etc) and proceed to adjust things. The carbs were way off sync and I get that dialed in and STILL it runs like garbage. OK, I've had it. I want to ride this bike, not fix on it for the next 10 years, so I take it now to the Suzuki dealer and asked them to tune it up. Make it run right. You guys are the experts. All that good stuff. So, 24 hours later or so I'm told it's done and to come get it. $369... are you sure? Yep. So on it I go and it does run "different" (wow, I just had a deja vu thing happen here... weird) and so I head home and "Hallelujah........ Hallelujah........Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Halle...lu...jah!" This bike has not run this well for 10 years! I'm popping wheelies and doing donuts (OK, maybe not), but it is running like it di when I first bought it 15 years ago. $369? Worth every penny.

And so, the moral of the story is: Make sure the parts you stick in are the same as the ones you took out. They only replaced the pilot jets with "the ones that are supposed to be in there" and it tuned up fine after that (I should have mentioned they sold the wrong ones to me in the first place... but I digress). My only question is now... How'd they figure it out and I couldn't. Truely a mystery.

Sorry for the long post, but it may happen to someone else, and God knows I'd hate to see someone else go through the hassle I've gone through now for the past 3 or 4 years.

Cheers, and I'll see you out there... somewhere. 8)

Roger
    Seattle
    81 GS750 EX (running like it should... finally)

They had the resources (microfiche) and the practical experience to eliminate sources of the problem.

Comment

Should make this a sticky in the carb section

Comment

Don,

I agree for the most part.

Square Dancer,

How does a post get made a sticky?

Roger Moore
        81 GS750 EX
        Seattle

Comment

Seen this before with aftermarket rebuild kits. You have to be careful with every part you install, even if the parts catalog says its for your model and year.
          $369 to change pilot jets, 8O hope it took them a little effort to find the problem.

Comment

$369 to change pilot jets, hope it took them a little effort to find the problem.
            Well, they showed 4.5 hours labor. They also replaced my 10 hour old spark plugs instead of just cleaning the ones I had and replaced my spark plug end caps... although I couldn't get a direct reason why. They just needed it, they said (I have all the old parts). I had pulled the resistors out of these and put little brass rods in their place, but I'm sure they still worked and were not the cause of my problem. I made this change as an attempt to solve my problem. Maybe they expected a particular resistance and when they didn't get it they said they were bad. I don't know and I neglected to tell them about having done that.

So, anyway... that's 292.50 labor @ $65 an hour and the rest in parts and taxes. Regardless, it runs like a dream now, so now I can ride it and get back to my car projects... something I "do" have practical experience with and have yet to EVER pay anybody else to do.

Comment

Working...
            X