Tube Or Tubless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tube Or Tubless?

I just bought a new tire and it can be run with ot without a tube. My bike has alumnium wheels, so what are the advanatges/ disadvatges of running a tube?

Not sure I have all the facts you need but from my pedal bike carrer I can tell you why some hardcore road race riders perfer tube or tubeless. Tubes in tires cause more rolling resistance, not sure of the physics, but sure it is true. Also, tubes increase rotational weight. It may seem negligable, as a tube weighs very little, but as a wheel turns, all the weight at the outside diameter is magnified many times. Racers will do anything to save 60 grams at the outside of a wheel, but not really care about the weight of a seatpost. Both these issues decrease effeciancy in pedal cyclists, and I am assuming the same applies for motorcycles. The only reason cyclists use tubes is because the tire / tube setup is cheaper, and easier to change on the fly. Not really issues for a motorcycle. Anybody else have input on this one?
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

If your wheels can be run with tubeless tires, it will be embossed on the wheel. Something like (For Tubeless Application). I have read of other people running tubeless tires on non-tubeless wheels without problems, but I wouldn't do it myself.

Comment

Safer

Tubeless tires are safer and cooler. If you encounter a nail in a tubed tire, it will likely go flat immediately; with a tubeless, it might keep air for days so your chances of a blowout are much less. Tubleless are also cooler which translates into safety, especially at high speeds.

I've heard that some of the early cast wheels were somewhat porous and would slowly leak air. I think the situation changed about l983 based on a couple of comments I've read here. My '80 GS750L has tubes in it and I'm almost sure it did when it was new (I bought it from the original owner and that's what he remembered). I wish I could run tubeless but I've never tried it. :roll:
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

tubes

And on a different tack, if you run tubed tyres, they make a lovely bang when you burn out the rear tyre to destruction, instead of the wimpy hiss you get from a tubeless!
          :twisted:

Comment

i have a 1980 GS and I am scared to run Tubeless tires on it though I am sure they would work

Comment

The only advice I can give relates to my experience with the tubeless wheels on my gs1000g - after replacing a really antiquated set of tires just recently, I noticed that I had to air my tires up about once a week or so, I took the bike back to the shop that mounted the tires and had them remove the rear tire and check for leaks. They found them all around the bead area - evidently, over time, the aluminum wheels will corrode and the sealing surface needs to be checked/cleaned when the tires are changed. No more slow leaks!!

Comment

Tube or Tubeless?

Chuckycheese has it right; Nails, provided they stay in the tire, take a long time to flatten a tubeless tire. I had put Lester mags on my old water buffalo and ran tubeless tires. One day at college, I noticed a nail in the rear tire, but it seemed to have enough air. So I rode it home (30 miles), checked the air pressure later, and it was within 2 psi of where it should have been.

On a trip, we found a nail in the tire of my brothers GS1100G. We left it in and rode the 500 miles home. Again, the cool tire pressure was nearly what it should have been without the nail. I wouldn't recommend such a test, but we did it in the interest of science.

Comment

The early GS850's, 79, 80, and 81, had tubeless-tire rear wheels, marked as such on the wheels themselves. The front ones, however, had no such marking. I would follow that recommendation -- tubeless rear, tube front -- in the interest of safety.

In 82 all GS850's and other GS's went to tubeless-tire wheels front and rear. Slightly different design, but all interchangeable. In other words, a new-style tubeless front wheel will fit an older 850 just fine.

Nick

Comment

I run tubeless front and back on my 1980.

Comment

Really

Hey Robert,
                      Is there anything at all written on your wheels????

Charlie (Rocklin, ....up the road)

Comment

The rear rim specifically says FOR TUBELESS TIRE APPLICATION, the front does not say one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by dallyr
                          The rear rim specifically says FOR TUBELESS TIRE APPLICATION, the front does not say one way or the other.

So, you're our guinea pig, Robert. If you have any significant loss, let the rest of us know.

N

Comment

PLUUUUUUUHLEEEEEZE!! Not a guinea pig, I'd rather be a lab rat. They get much better drugs to try out. But since I'm the pig let me say that in 30K+ miles I have never run a tube in my front tire, The previous owner (I work with him) had it for 10 years, never run a tube in the front. On the average I lose about 2 pounds every other month in each tire.

Comment

Tubeless

I"ll need a front tire soon and think I'll give it a try also. If it works out, I'll post it. By the way, Robert, I looked at my rims and there is nothing mentioned about tubes but I'll bet our rims were manufactured in the same manner.

Comment

Working...
                              X