No announcement yet.

Tube Or Tubless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've run tubeless on my '82 GS1100E, '83 GS750ES and '83 XN85 with no problems. They all had tubes from the factory but held air just fine without them. Yours may or may not, it's easy enough to give it a try. The reason the factory wants you to use tubes is because the rims were not designed for tubeless, there isn't an inner safety bead. That safety bead is supposed to help keep the tire bead in place during sudden air loss. It seems to me this isn't going to make a bit of difference with or without the tube in there. My reason for going tubeless is because a puncture in a tubeless tire usually results in a slow leak with plenty of warning, I've also found nails in my tires when a had plenty of air left, but if you pick up a nail in a tube tire BANG, hang on for dear life.

Axel
    P.S. It's much easier to plug a tire than patch a tube.
    P.P.S. Of course for legal reasons this is just my opinion and not a recommendation.

Comment

tubeless

I have a 1980 GS1100E and it came with tube-type tires and I replaced them with similar tires as I thought that it would be best to stick with what the factory designed the bike to run on wrt profile and sidewall design.

If I went with tubeless tires, I would use GUNK (or similar) aerosol flat tire inflator to coat the rim with sealant. The sealant would prevent slow leaks.

I have used this stuff on car tires a number of times and it works well and held for years.

Patrick

Comment

I understood that aerosol tire sealers should only be used for temporary fixes because they can corrode aluminum rims. Can anyone back me up on this?
        Axel

Comment

tire sealant

Hi

I know the can says it is a temporary fix but I have used it on my Jetta mag wheels a number of times and it does not damage aluminum and it is as close to permanent as any repair I have ever had done.

The sealant forms a very very thin layer on the tire and rim - you would be hard pressed to even notice it yet it works really well at sealing leaks.

Patrick

Comment

I run tubeless fronts and rear. 3 weeks after buying a new rear i realized i ran over a nail at my gf's driveway. I lost all readable pressure after 2 days only noticing cuz the bike wasn't handling very well. anyway i took it to the shop and my mechanic slapped a tube in there without replacing the tire. I drove on it for another 5000 miles with no problems.
            Jus850

Comment

oh yeah
              i thought you Had to run tubes if you have spoked wheels or other types that wont hold air, like a bicycle tire.
              Jus850

Comment

Working...
              X