82 GS650 Carb Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 GS650 Carb Problems

Hi all, I've got an 82' GS650EX. It had been sitting for 5 years when I got it so I pulled the carbs off and replaced all the o-rings, cleaned the jets, and installed new float bowl gaskets and needle and seats. When I run fuel into the carbs it fills the bowls up and runs out the back of all four carbs.

I've rebuilt many carbs before, but never had this problem. I reinstalled the old needle and seats with the same result. The floats were set at 23 mm without the gasket (what my clymer manual says) and I even tried lowering them as far as I could - didn't change anything.

The needle and seats I got are aftermarket - K&L I think. I've heard of getting bad 'new' parts before, but I find it hard to believe all four would be bad.

At this point I'm ready to find another set of carbs. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

I didn't find anything pertaining to my problem searching past messages, but I saw several different posts about the vent lines.

I replaced the fuel line as well when I rebuilt the carbs and the vent lines are tee'd into the fuel line. I thought this was a bit odd, but I assumed it was correct. After looking at the clymer manual closely, it shows the vent line separate from the fuel line.

Maybe this is the route of my problem?

Comment

Vent line ares ALL open to atomsphere. The fuel line is a solid/uninterrupted line between the petcock and the fuel nipple located between carbs 2 and 3. The petcock vacuum line is a solid line between the vacuum fitting on the petcock and usually the vacuum fitting on 3 carb (located on the upper left/inboard side of the 3 carb) Or, on some models the petcock vacuum fitting is on the right upper side of the 2 carb.

The way you describe your setup now is such that the bowls would continue to fill through the venting even though the float needles shut off fuel flow. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by RZMike
      I didn't find anything pertaining to my problem searching past messages, but I saw several different posts about the vent lines.

I replaced the fuel line as well when I rebuilt the carbs and the vent lines are tee'd into the fuel line. I thought this was a bit odd, but I assumed it was correct. After looking at the clymer manual closely, it shows the vent line separate from the fuel line.

Maybe this is the route of my problem?
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I don't know why it was setup that way. It didn't make sense to me either, but it looked factory and that's why I was confused. There's no telling what the previous owner did. I've already found some strange and "jerry-rigged" things.

I went back out and disconnected the vent lines and it solved my problem.

Thanks for the response.

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X