Speedo Cable Help-AGAIN!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo Cable Help-AGAIN!!!

Ok, I posted this before, but I'm STILL having trouble.
    I need a speedo cable for an '83 GS 750E. I order one from denniskirk.com. I get it and it doesn't fit. I call and talk to Tech support and we go over connectors and dimensions. He's got it. Today I get the new cable and still doesn't fit.

Question. The cable I took off had 2x female coupler type connectors. The one(s) they have sent me have a female that goes to the speedometer and a male that goes to the speedo drive.
    The 2nd issue is that the slotted end (which goes into the speedo drive?) is about 1/4" diameter. My original cable is just slightly larger than the internal cable diameter. Approx. 1/8".

Billy Ricks, I know you said it sounded like the right cable. It bothers me that denniskirk sent me 2 different P/N's, yet both are still the wrong cable.

Has anyone else had trouble from them?

Thanks. This has been going on for 2 weeks and I'm getting frustrated. I'm going on a small trip this Saturday, and would sure like to have a speedometer.......

Re: Speedo Cable Help-AGAIN!!!

I have been buying various cables from cyclerecycle for years and they have NEVER made a mistake. Go to http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/Index_Main_Frame.htm
    I believe the speedo cable you need is 0311. $10.95 (1983 GS750E)

They send everything priority mail.

Earl

[quote="dmplatt"]
    Ok, I posted this before, but I'm STILL having trouble.
    I need a speedo cable for an '83 GS 750E. I order one from denniskirk.com. I get it and it doesn't fit. I call and talk to Tech support and we go over connectors and dimensions. He's got it. Today I get the new cable and still doesn't fit.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I believe the speedo cable you need is 0311. $10.95 (1983 GS750E
      Earlfor, that's the same P/N denniskirk.com sent me first. Hopefully they have different P/N shcemes.... their P/N was c0311. FYI.

Thanks

Comment

AAaaHaaa!, the part number you want is the one for the 1983 750ES.
        That is 0363 and is the double female ended cable. :-) Apparently, somewhere along the way, someone has changed the speedo drive on your front wheel. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by dmplatt
        Earlfor, that's the same P/N denniskirk.com sent me first. Hopefully they have different P/N shcemes.... their P/N was c0311. FYI.

Thanks

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor
          AAaaHaaa!, the part number you want is the one for the 1983 750ES.
          That is 0363 and is the double female ended cable. :-) Apparently, somewhere along the way, someone has changed the speedo drive on your front wheel. :-)

Earl

Thanks

SOooo, what you are saying is that the P/N for the '83 750ES is the double female connector, instead of 1 male and 1 female? Do you know about the size of the hex end and the size of the slotted end? Mine are about the same size.
          I smell something fishy here. What is the difference, not just speedo, between an E and an ES?

Dave

Comment

Speedo should be the same on both the E and the ES. If I remember right when my bike was stock the guage end of the cable was male and the drive end was the slotted female type.

Comment

The slotted end that fits into the speedo drive on the front wheel is 5/32" diameter. By "hex end" I assume you mean the square drive end of the cable that fits into the back of the speedometer. Its 1/8". The cable comes with a 1 3/16" long barrel nut on the slotted end and a 1 19/32" long barrel nut on the speedometer end. The overall length of the cable core is 39 1/4"

I dont know what other differences there are between an E and ES.

In case you wondering how I know the sizes, its the same cable my 1150E uses. :-) The cycle recycle part number is 0363.
              The suzuki part number is 34910-10990

Earl

SOooo, what you are saying is that the P/N for the '83 750ES is the double female connector, instead of 1 male and 1 female? Do you know about the size of the hex end and the size of the slotted end? Mine are about the same size.
              I smell something fishy here. What is the difference, not just speedo, between an E and an ES?

Dave

Comment

Thanks Earlfor. Sounds like someone replaced the speedo drive heh?

Well, I thought a picture is worth it's weight, so I took a picture of the 2 cable ends. Maybe it looks familiar. Both cables I've received so far have the same connector on the speedo drive end.

Here's the link.

See what you guys think.

Thanks again.

Comment

Well, I thought a picture is worth it's weight, so I took a picture of the 2 cable ends. Maybe it looks familiar. Both cables I've received so far have the same connector on the speedo drive end.

Here's the link.

See what you guys think.

Thanks again.

Comment

I assume your pic is of one cable that you received, and is bent to show both its ends. The 0363 cable has two ends the same as the end of the cable on the top side of your pic. (the cable end on the bare floor) You want the 0363 and it has a barrel on each end with internal threads.

If by chance the 0363 is still the wrong cable (I'm reasonably sure it is correct), but......if wrong, just pm me and I will be happy to buy it from you. :-)

Earl

Here's the link.

See what you guys think.

Thanks again.

Comment

Actually, the top of the picture is the "Old" cable and the bottom of the pic is the "New" cable still in the wrapping. The connector you see at the top is also part of the old cable. So as you can see, the old cable has both the same barrel connectors on both ends.

Now, I have received 2 different cables from denniskirk.com. The 1st was 0311, the 2nd was 0364. These had the same connector you see in the bottom of the picture. Actually, I think they are the same cable, exept length. You say I need 0363?

Thanks again.

Comment

The top of the picture and the connector at the top that was part of the old cable would together make a 0363.

Go to cyclerecycle. I usually get things from them in about 1/2 the time that dennis kirk takes. :-)

Earl

[quote="dmplatt"]Actually, the top of the picture is the "Old" cable and the bottom of the pic is the "New" cable still in the wrapping. The connector you see at the top is also part of the old cable. So as you can see, the old cable has both the same barrel connectors on both ends.

Comment

Thanks. I'll do that. I've heard good things about denniskirk. They are VERY nice people, and they refunded my return shipping, but I'm concerned about another chance. Plus the fact I'm headed towards Scotty's place and not sure about his driveway..... :twisted:

Thanks for all the help.

P.S. So do I have an ES speedo drive?

Comment

I think you probably do. You positively do have a speedo drive that requires the ES cable style.

Earl

P.S. So do I have an ES speedo drive?

Comment

[quote]
                              Originally posted by earlfor
                              I think you probably do. You positively do have a speedo drive that requires the ES cable style.

Earl
                              Thanks Earl,
                              Turns out 1 place here locally had the cable, only $17.00 and it fits. Had you not told me about the ES, I probably would have never gotten a cable. Thanks so much for your help.

I just got back from a trip to Scotty's in Crystal River. Didn't get the cable until I got back. Now I realize I was cruising at about 80mph 8O 8O 8O

Thanks again.

Dave

Hope to see you on Aug 7.

Comment

Working...
                              X