info on 1982 SUZUKI GS850E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

info on 1982 SUZUKI GS850E

I am thinking about buying this bike. Does anyone have any thoughts about this model? The bike I am looking at has the front faring with windshield which I really dont want and would like to remove. Can this be done? This bike has 51,xxx miles on it. How much life is left? It is in good condition. I will attach a pic

Yes you can remove the fairing, and I'll even take it off your hands after you've removed it. I'll pay the Post and Packing so it'll cost you nothing!

Comment

Dang, is that a Rifle fairing?

I'm sure someone will do you the favor of taking it off your hands.

Can't tell much else from the pic -- if it's been maintained and still runs OK, then it will go for quite a while longer. If it's been neglected, then who knows?

Must-do upgrades include stainless brake lines, Progressive suspension, and, of course, the electrical upgrades outlines in The Stator Papers. Bonus points if these are already done.

Extra-special bonus points if the tires are new-ish. It seems every used bike I see has old, nasty squared-off tires, so you might need to budget a couple hundred bucks for fresh rubber.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Almost forgot -- I have about 55,000 miles on my '83 GS850, but it's not the original engine (long sad story involving a former owner's neglect). With the Progressive suspension, the chassis is still fresh.

Other good upgrades to see are Dyna ignition coils and spark plug wires. The Electrex Reg/Rect and stator are not mandatory -- I'm still using my originals -- but you do need to at least solder the connections and properly ground the rectifier.

You might also make sure the carb intake boots and their o-rings have been replaced. The petcock also tends to give up after 20 years, so ask about that.

Finally, you should make sure the drive splines on the rear wheel have been greased. Either ask the owner, or see if you can remove the rear wheel to make sure the splines are in good shape.

A compression test would definitely be in order, as well as asking about the mileage and any records available from the last valve adjustment. I'm a bit paranoid, so I'd still check the valves and sync the carbs when I got it home, as well as change the engine oil, fork oil, and driveshaft gear lube. And brake fluid. And rotate the air in the tires while you're at it...

Properly cared for, these bikes will last a long, long time and many more miles. Neglected, who knows...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

thank you for the info. I have been told that right now is not the time to buy as I may be getting ripped off but I think the deal is ok. He wants $800 for the bike and it needs no work at all. Is that a good price for a 1982 with 51,xxx miles???

Comment

Chances are he will go down a $100. or bargin for more if it needs tires. also you can probably get $100 for the fairing on ebay, but plan on spending $50 for a replacement headlight

Comment

he should'nt need another headlighjt with that fairing just some turn signals. I had that fairing on my old 750 sabre, it used the factory headlight in its original location , I only had to remove the turn signals and plug the fairing ones into the harness.

Comment

There's no such thing as a GS850E. I see in the picture that it's a 1982 GS850GZ. "G" is for shaft driven, and "Z" is for the 1982 model year. I had two of these between the years 1986 and 1996. Great bike.

Pay attention to what others on this thread have suggested. They're all "must do" types of things.

Have the carbs professionally cleaned. Read my story on this website: http://www.thegsresources.com/storie...ometouring.htm . Back in 1992 I bought my second GS850GZ at an auction for $1000. It ran well for the 92 season, then I found an independent mechanic who was setting up shop in a nearby town.

He suggested that I get the carbs cleaned, so I went ahead and let him, in good faith. The difference was quite noticeable. He cleaned the carbs, replaced o-rings, gaskets, and small parts, replaced the carb boots, and the bike ran much better afterwards, with better gas mileage, easy starting and idling, acceleration, etc.

Wheel splines are a must. Chances are they're totally dry, and they must be lubed with moly grease every time the rear wheel is off the bike. I was stranded one summer Sunday morning at 8 a.m. in a town 150 miles from my home, back in 1987. Not pleasant. I learned my lesson then. No problems since.

Even if you spend $1000 on getting this bike truly roadworthy, it will still be a great buy. The 850 Suzuki is a durable motorcycle which should give you lots of miles and years, even if it already has that many miles.

One more item: if you do get this bike and perform all the maintenance items suggested (urged!) on this thread by all these nice people, there's still the matter of making them last. The best way to make that 850 last a long time and make it worth the time, trouble, and expense of making it roadworthy is to ride the hell out of it, often and long. Neglect is the killer of perfectly good motorcycles, and letting a bike sit is a sinful act in my eyes and in the eyes of many in this forum.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                  The best way to make that 850 last a long time and make it worth the time, trouble, and expense of making it roadworthy is to ride the hell out of it, often and long. Neglect is the killer of perfectly good motorcycles, and letting a bike sit is a sinful act in my eyes and in the eyes of many in this forum.

Nick
                  Absolutely true, Nick. Letting a good bike sit is a great way to kill it. The corrosion, cracking, and leaking gremlins just looooove an owner too busy to ride.
                  Eat more venison.

Comment

Working...
                  X