1983 GS 1100E IDLE noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS 1100E IDLE noise

Have had my GS 1100E for 10 years- bought from original owner in Va now in Florida. Bike has recently developed noise (sounds like a diesel) at idle. Much worse at about 850 rpm, better at 1200 and gone at 2-3000 rpm all standing still. Diesel sound (sounds like knocking) also occurs launching under load (engaging first at low rpm). Also makes this sound under heavy deacceleration (engine breaking). Engine runs fine when cruising (not accelerating or deaccelerating). Checked cluch and rotor/coil assembly-no loose or faulty parts. Told that the engine noise at idle may be due to a clogged carb, with dead cylinder and engine fighting itself at low rpm. Thinking problem may be slop in main bearings or in transmission. Anyone have any thoughts? Could use additional brain power. Next step will probably be carb rebuild. Afraid I may have to rebuild engine.

Sounds like a rod bearing going bad if you hear knocking, (maybe piston slapping???). I don't think it's your carbs not in less they are just dumping in raw fuel into the cylinder causing a hydraulic lock condition. Pull your spark plugs and how do they look, they should be dry and brown. If they are wet it may be fuel or oil. Easy way to check Carb/Firing is when the engine is cold start it up and touch each exhaust pipe they should start getting hotter and all feel the same temp. If one is cooler than the rest check for spark first then move on to the carb that feeds the cylinder. I would'nt ride it until you can figure out the problem.

Good Luck
    1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
    1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
    1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
    1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
    01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

I had the same problem with my 1983 1100 e. It turn out to be the sprag clutch bolts had sheared off due to the starter sticking. Check it out.

Matt

Comment

Here's a shot in the dark- Are all your spark plug caps on the right plugs? I know it's improbable but wouldn't it be funny (as long as it wasn't your bike)?

Michael

Comment

Took some time

Thanks for the responses. Have installed a new clutch and rebuilt the carbs. Noise still persists. Checked generator side of engine again-first time in June, again last weekend: found 2 sheered bolts holding starter clutch to rotor, third one, loose and ready to go. Matt, I should have listened to you 6 months ago. BTW-a real pain in the a** getting that rotor off the crank shaft.

Thanks again,

Bob L.

Comment

Dude,
            all that matters is you found it and fixed it before it blow through the side of the crankcase. Glad to have helped.

Matt

Comment

Working...
            X