Closed brake caliper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closed brake caliper

I was changing front wheels on two bikes last night and accidentilly pulled the brake lever when the caliper was off the rotor.

It didn't appear to shut the pads because I was able to mount it back on the rotor.

However, the bike will not roll backwards. Only forward. I figure the piston did acutate.

Is there an easy way of opening it back up or do I need to disamble hoses and all and reinstall?

Thanks

Pull the caliper back off and push the pistons back in by using a large flat blade of some sort to lever them back. After you put the caliper back on be sure to pump the brake lever a few times to get the pads adjusted right. Otherwise the lever could go all the way back to the bar and still not have any brakes.

Comment

Strange, if the brakes are binding then you should'nt be able to move the bike in any direction. I'd check everything again just is case. You can always open the beeder valve and use a screwdrive to push the pads back.
      1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
      1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
      1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
      1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
      01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Spray out the caliper (on the bike) with brake cleaner, especially trying to get around the pads (wear eye protection). Then smack the caliper on the big round part with a rubber hammer. This will push the piston back in and may loosen some debris. Rolling resistance in one direction is a little odd: you may have something out of alignment.

Comment

Thought the same thing about the resistance. If he got the caliper back on at all it should roll reasonably easy. Could be the relief hole in the master giving him problems too. As Don pointed out it could be debris keeping the caliper piston from backing off.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
            Thought the same thing about the resistance. If he got the caliper back on at all it should roll reasonably easy. Could be the relief hole in the master giving him problems too. As Don pointed out it could be debris keeping the caliper piston from backing off.
            Sorry to hijack the thread, but is this relief hole common to the 1980s+ model years? My '78 does not seem to have a relief hole and I have looked, the master cylinder is completely off the bike. Just one hole for brake fluid ingress and egress from the brake fluid reservoir

Comment

Working...
            X