IGNITOR SCHEMATIC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IGNITOR SCHEMATIC

Does anyone have a schematic of the ignitor for a GS1000G? (part # 32900-45110) If not how about a source to purchase one at a reasonable price. I pulled it apart and it's only about 8 transistors, some diodes resistors and caps. Static checks show no obvious shorts but when connected to the bike, it pulls my coil voltage (orange/white wire) down to 11VDC with a 12.4 volt battery. I have spark but it's weak. The pickup reads 325 ohms and I do get a better spark when I use my DVM to trigger the ignitor, but only in the diode check mode, not in resistance mode. It is a auto ranging meter and may not have enough voltage in the resistance mode to trigger. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I have never seen a diagram for the ignitor
    OK this is for a Yamaha but the idea is simillar
    Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

Comment

Here's an ignitor diagram from a GS850G/1000G:

I don't have any values for the components though.

From the service manual:

Pickup coils resistance = 250-360 Ohms.

Ignitor test procedure:

* Disconnect the pickup coils;
      * Remove spark plugs #1 and #2; let them rest on the engine, with high voltage leads connected;
      * Set a multimeter to the Ohmx1 scale;
      * Set the ignition switch to "ON";
      * Connect the multimeter test leads to the ignitor input wires - positive lead on blue wire and negative lead on green wire;

Connecting test leads > spark plug #1 should spark;
      Disconnecting test leads > spark plug #2 should spark.
      (Assuming that the coils are okay)

If you don't have a multimeter with an Ohmsx1 scale, I think that connecting a 1.5V battery to the ingnitor input should work too (positive to blue wire; negative to green wire).

Hope this helps.

Comment

Re: IGNITOR SCHEMATIC

Originally posted by rockinGS
        Does anyone have a schematic of the ignitor for a GS1000G? (part # 32900-45110) If not how about a source to purchase one at a reasonable price. I pulled it apart and it's only about 8 transistors, some diodes resistors and caps. Static checks show no obvious shorts but when connected to the bike, it pulls my coil voltage (orange/white wire) down to 11VDC with a 12.4 volt battery. I have spark but it's weak. The pickup reads 325 ohms and I do get a better spark when I use my DVM to trigger the ignitor, but only in the diode check mode, not in resistance mode. It is a auto ranging meter and may not have enough voltage in the resistance mode to trigger. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
        Can you clearly see the values of the two smaller diodes within the ignitor? I am trying to find the values so I can attempt to fix a bad ignitor I have.

Thanx
        sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Re: IGNITOR SCHEMATIC

Originally posted by Steve
          Can you clearly see the values of the two smaller diodes within the ignitor? I am trying to find the values so I can attempt to fix a bad ignitor I have.

Thanx
          Looks like the both diodes are just there to feed the base of the first transistor with either a negative or a positive pulse.
          Any multi purpose diode should be able to do the job. Try a 1N1004 or similar.

Comment

When checking the diodes I found them OK. I removed the transistors one at a time and found them also OK. The two darlington transistors mounted on a heat sink didn't read like I expected so I called the local electronics supplier and ordered two. I also ordered the other 5 transistors since the grand total of the seven transistors was approx. $13. You can remove the diodes and look for a part number on most of them. I wrote all of this down but since I was missing lots of riding time I elected to purchase a Dyna 3 so I never finished the repair on the original ignitor. If you'd like I can look through my Suzuki information and get you the part numbers I have. Unfortunatly, this information is at home and I'm at work.

Comment

=If you'd like I can look through my Suzuki information and get you the part numbers I have. Unfortunatly, this information is at home and I'm at work.
              I would be grateful.
              sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

1980 GS1000G ignitor.

No designations of transistors on PCB, but follow numbers on transistors.
                Qty 2 - D977 - 2SD977 Darlington- use SK9431 - $3.95 each
                Qty 2 - C1213 - 2SC1213 - use ECG 289A or NTE949 - $1.42 each
                Qty 3 - C945 - 2SC945 - use ECG 85 or NTE85 - $1.02 each

All diodes checked good out of circuit. Only a few caps and check them out of circuit for shorts. No resistors burnt or overheated.

These are the transistors I found in my ignitor. I purchased them through a local electronics supplier for the cost above. I was unable to install since I already purchased a Dyna3 because of the dwindling "Prime Riding" time. This doesn't eliminate your pickup coils, but testing as per advice of this forum (search by ignitor) can tell you if it working.

Good luck
                RockinGS

Comment

Check your connector. The ignitor may be OK. Excessive resistances in the connections will give voltage drops.

Comment

There are 4 diodes on the ignitor. Two larger ones, two smaller ones. I need to know what the two smaller ones are and what to replace them with. One is unreadable on this one and the other one is litterally "burnt".

Thanx for any info you can supply.
                    sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

Does anyone know what these diodes are? Diodes are a dime a dozen, I should be able to repair this ignitor if it's only a diode issue as it appears, but I need to know what the diodes are. What the values are.

Thanks in advance.
                      sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Steve,

I didn't document this since they all tested OK. I'll take a look next chance I get to see if I can see some numbers on them. The next couple days will be tuff since I have to work OT

Comment

Just checkin to see if you had a chance to look yet?
                          sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Working...
                          X