Petcock problem ......I think??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Petcock problem ......I think??

Just rebuilt carbs and petcock. Bike fired right up after 10 years of sitting.

2 questions..

When I have the petcok on run and snap the throttle she stubles like she is starving for gas, When I put it on prime it runs much better with just a slight poping from the carbs. Is it the vacuume float level ?????

Also after it gets hot there is smoke coming from the whole engine, it does not smell, I think it is all the crud burning off from the outside storage, Can I use engine bright to clean it off?

The Vacuum hose on the petcock goes to the #2 carb, is that correct? The other hose from the upper(Fuel gage)mount gets routed to the the bottom of the bike, does not connect to anything

Thanks You

Re: Petcock problem ......I think??

Originally posted by idrum
    Just rebuilt carbs and petcock. Bike fired right up after 10 years of sitting.

2 questions..

When I have the petcok on run and snap the throttle she stubles like she is starving for gas, When I put it on prime it runs much better with just a slight poping from the carbs. Is it the vacuume float level ?????

Also after it gets hot there is smoke coming from the whole engine, it does not smell, I think it is all the crud burning off from the outside storage, Can I use engine bright to clean it off?

The Vacuum hose on the petcock goes to the #2 carb, is that correct? The other hose from the upper(Fuel gage)mount gets routed to the the bottom of the bike, does not connect to anything

Thanks You
    when you snap the throttle, i doubt if a fuel flow problem would be noticable so quikly.
    But I will be the first to admit that i dont know what a vacume float is .
    Whenever i clean my engine i always get the smoke for a period of time---maybe you have an oil leak somewhere that is running onto the block

your hose configuration sounds ok to me--but that doesnt make it or anything i have said correct 8O

Comment

Hi, sounds to me as if the fuel tap isn't opening with the vacuum from the carbs. I notice you say that you rebuilt the petcock, did you use a new diaphragm? Check the hose from the tap to the carbs you may have a leak in it. If you run it on reserve what's I like then? Maybe the tank is full of crud and this may be blocking the filter for the main fuel supply! Hope this helps Bob Mac.
      PS hose routing seems fine and you would expect the engine to smoke having stood for any length time, just burning off residue that will have accumulated. I have never heard of engine bright (I am from the Uk), but I use a degreaser on the engine such as jizer (my favourite) or gunk, paint it on neat then use warm water to rinse, then finally hose down with a hose pipe. :roll:

Comment

I don't think they would let us have a product called Jizer here in the states

One thing I completely overlooked when I rebuilt my carbs are the needle jets. They were attached to the rubber diaphrams and didn't think to touch them, but they had a lot of dried up varnish on them that made them stick. If these don't open quickly enough you may have response problems. I've said it 20 times now I'm sure, but these carbs just can't get by with a quicky cleaning after any period of sitting. Too complex and too many small orfices to clog up. Dunking, compressed air, and little orfice cleaners are the only way to go.

I think you should also attach a longer hose to the vacuum fitting on the petcock and pull a vacuum with you're mouth. If you can hold the vacuum for a few seconds with your tongue, then the vacuum diaphram in the petcock is likely OK. But, if you get a mouthful of gas (or petrol as they call it over yonder where they can sell Jizer), then the diaphram is bad and you'll be sucking a goodly amount of gas into the #2 cylinder. Reading the plugs can tell you this too.

Speaking of that, how do they read? Should be a light tan to white/gray if things are normal.

My bike sat for 7 years, and when it finally started it didn't smoke (except out the tail pipe from my first "shortcut attempt" to clean the carbs). This didn't last long though, and I din't see anything coming from the engine -- and it wasn't all that clean yet.

Cheers,

Roger Moore

Comment

Petcock

Is the diaphragm the Gasket with the holes? if so I did not. I took it apart and just cleaned it. I will drop by a Suzuki dealer to see if they have one.

Comment

I replaced all needle jets. I might have an airbox leak so I ordere new boots that attach to the carbs

Comment

The diaphram I was speaking specifically of is the one (if your's has this type) at the top of the carbs. Mine are just like those in the carb break-down series on this site. The diaphram is directly connected to the slider and that's what lifts it, instead of direct cable action. But your's may be different.

Roger Moore

Comment

"vacuum diaphram in the petcock" what does this look like??

Comment

fairly similar to the accelerator pump in an old Ford carb...

...like this is going to help much. :roll:

Comment

You have 2 types of diaphams on your bike.The 1st is in the petcock. It should be black and have a silver in color plunger in the center. This is what stops fuel flow when there is no vacuum. If you just rebuilt this then it should have been brand new. If you have good throttle response when on prime but not on run or reserve then as stated earlier you may have some blockage in the tank especially after 10 years. As soon as you put fuel in it and started moving it around you might have knocked a whole bunch of junk loose.

You hoses sound as if the are attached correctly.

Unless you have some weird carbs that I havent heard of you dont have a vacuum float. In the float bowls on the bottom of the carbs you have a fuel float. If they are not set correctly you may not have enough fuel in the bowls to keep up when you snap the throttle.

The other diaphrams are on the top of the carbs (under the cover) and there is one in each carb. They are the black rubber looking things that the sliders are atached to. The needle jets are the long needle looking thing that is attached to the inside of the slider with a ring clip. You can do 2 things with those. If they are adjustable you can change the e clip to a different slot. If they are not adjustable to can use very small and thin washers the same size as the one that is already on the needle to raise it up.

Oh yeah one last thing. If the bike has been setting for 10 years I would bet you a $100 bucks that you have rust in the tank. It may be very fine but its there. Put on a fuel filter that goes down to 40 microns. It will keep all the garbage out of your carbs.

Comment

Is it fixed?
                      Whats the matter with (dare I say it) the word "jizer"
                      Bob Mac

Comment

Originally posted by idrum
                        "vacuum diaphram in the petcock" what does this look like??
                        Go to this site for a picture. The diaphram is the square one with 4 holes in the corners for the screws and the plunger in the middle. Give credit to Billy Ricks of South Texas (further south than me?) for originally posting this link.

Terry

Comment

fuel filter

Jay

You recommended a 40 micron fuel filter and I was wondering what brand you have and where I could get one. I have a clear plastic unit installed on my bike and fine bits of material still pass through it.

I like the clear plastic filter so I know if it is in danger of ever plugging up.

thanks,

Patrick

Comment

Working...
                          X