carb adjustments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeke
    Keith, sorry to confuse you, I do have the stock carbs not the 33's. I will adjust a few things today and let you know how it turns out.

ps when i say the position of the clips on the needle i count up fron the point of the needle.
    Well, you're the first to say they do that, at least to me. That will cause confusion. You said the bike was stock but of course someone could have made needle changes in the past. I'm not sure about the needle settings for Canadian carbs, but I'm now thinking the needle clip was originally in the 3rd position FROM THE TOP. (It would be nice to know). Normally with your mods, the needle must be raised at least two positions from the factory setting. That would put your clip in the #5 or bottom position. This would be the richest setting you can have with the stock needle. Many find that the stock needle won't work and they go with a jet kit. There are also jetting spacers you can install to make 1/2 position adjustments.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I was definetly moving it the wrong direction. I have now moved it to the bottom but the weather is too ugly to test it. I also replaced the fuel valve but it still leaks so i have another problem to fix. I let the bike sit for 2 weeks when I went on holiday, and when it got back all my fuel was on the garage floor. One step foreward and two back.

Comment

Well, keep trying. You'll get it right if you have patience.
        Pingel makes a great fuel valve for about $90 (U.S.) including adapter plate for your tank. No more vacuum/failing stock petcock stuff. You do have to turn the fuel on and off. I recommend it. I've got the part # if you like and phone #. They're also on the web. You have to ream out the existing petcock hole just a little with a file. Very easy upgrade in my opinion.
        If you want to see a close pic' of the valve then visit my website photos.
        Just click the WWW symbol below.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

And don't forget to have those floats set between .90 and .98".
          I like to set them at .94"
          Also, make sure the floats are "even". Many times the float will be tweaked, one side different from the other. Even them out and then set to .94"

Comment

Working...
          X