Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS850 - What year is this bike on EBay really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 - What year is this bike on EBay really?

Listed on ebay as: "1979 Other Suzuki : GS850"

I see a few things that make me think this is not a 79. The slotted front rotor, the CV carbs make me think is at least an 80. Other things make me think it could even be 82-83.
    - I understand it is custom exhaust. And tank ectera has been painted.
    - The shape of the air box makes me think it could actaully be an L, but nothing else looks like an L.
    - Am posting this out of general interest and just to be amazed, again, at the knolodgable responces.

Above is picture snagged from ebay listing.
    http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
    Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Your susp!cions are correct. What you have there in that picture is a 1982 GS850GZ, the standard model, not the "L". An "L" model has the leading front axle design; on this model the axle is directly below the forks, so it's a standard model. You're correct about the slotted discs; (they're all interchangeable, though.) It certainly not a 79, and also not an 80.

I had two consecutive bikes of this model, from 1986 thru 1996. It's an 82 because of

1. The wheels. The front wheel is a more modern tubeless design that came out in 1982, at least on the GS shafties. The pentagram design is found on the older GS bikes. (The old and new wheels are interchangeable.)

2. Turn signals are rectangular. In 79 and 80 the turn signals were round.

3. Look at the mounting of the passenger footpeg. Typical 1982 design on that polished aluminum piece.

4. Shape of the fuel tank is definitely 1982, tapered toward the rear.

5. The clutch cover on the 1982 thru 84 GS850G and GS1100G and GK does not extend backward to cover what used to be the place for the kickstarter. There's obviously no kickstarter on this bike; kickstarters are typical of the 79 model only. In 1980 Suzuki removed the kickstarter, but covered up where the mechanism used to be. In 82 they redesigned the clutch cover.

The front reflector that screws on at the top of the forks is missing.

The 1982 and 1983 GS850G's and GS1100G's and GK's (almost identical to each other) were state-of-the-art UJM's (universal japanese motorcycle) in their day. They were highly improved versions of the excellent shaftie 850's and 1000's that preceded them. Suzuki improved the ignition system, the charging system, wheels, body parts, and gave them a nicer fit and finish. The UJM design of the 1970's, which began with the original CB750 Honda and ran through the Kaw Z-1, reached its highest point with these GS bikes in the early 80's.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Comment

Nick, that's amazing!

Hap

Comment

Nick has confirmed my suspisions in the amazing fashion that I was anticiaping.
        - I noticed some things (tank, tailights, passng peg mount, ectera) that were similar to my 82 GS650G, but didnt know what year to attribute them to on an 850.
        - I will send a link of this to the seller.
        - Any other observations anyone?
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Well done Nick.

Comment

It has round turn signal lights in front, but rectangular in back.

The wheels are like those on my GS850GLZ.

In addition to the airbox, the side covers are also GL model style. I didn't think the side covers from an L would fit on a G. In looking at it closely, there is some overlap between the covers and the seat and tank. On my GLZ, there's about a quarter on an inch between them.

The tank, seat, and tail light are G model style.

Did you ever see the original-series Star Trek about Nomad, a deep-space probe that collided with an alien craft and in repairing themselves, they became a single entity? Nomad had some characteristics of each of the former individuals. This bike looks like it is the result on the union of two bikes.

I would bet that the frame is that of a 79 and thus that is how the bike is licensed. I wonder if there's an L model out there somewhere with wheels and other parts from a G model.

Comment

- If Karl makes reference to Star Trek, I'll quote Yosemite Sam : "Ew, It just dont add up." (or maybe that was Bugs Bunny, not sure, that was too many cases of Strohs ago).
              - And I tried to contact the seller to give him a link to this forum, and the email gets bounced back "user unknown".
              - I was thinking that maybe the air box just looks like an L due to shadows or something.
              - I was also thinking that I should find something better to do with my time. But is interesting to see others of you ponder about this.

Comment

The airbox is stock 1982 GS850GZ. It's just like the one on my GK.

Nick

Comment

Ebay Listing Author

Hi guys. I'm the one who just sold that GS850 on ebay. As I explained to Redman in his questions to me, I've owned this bike since the end of May and know only what my buddy, the previous owner of one year told me and that it's a GS850. That's what it says on the title and the VIN. After reading the incredably detailed responses, it sure seems as if the year is off but then I have no idea how it could be wrong on the Title. Any thoughts on how the title would be off? I went out and look at the serial number on the bike and it doesn't look like it's been messed with. Either way, the bike has been sold and I've moved on to a newer Suzuki. PS, I also have an 81 GS550 (at least I thought I did until redman emailed me about the 850). While this is my first posting on this forum, I've enjoyed it for about a year. I can't believe how much you guys know about such old bikes.

Comment

Good talking to you, SlawMan.
                    - On my 80 850 there is a number stamped directly on the neck of the frame, and same number stamped on metal tag on other side of neck. Starts with GS850, like you said. Followed by 6 digits (not US required format these days).
                    - I have a Haynes manaul that list the frame numbers per year. It list the following:
                    78 GN Starts at 100000 (6 digits, after GS850?) (book doesnt list 79) (78 & 79 was before there were Gs and Ls)
                    80 GT Starts at 116014 (6 digits, after GS850?)
                    80 GLT starts at 700001 (7 digits, after GS850?)
                    81 GX starts at JS1GS71G B2100001 (note differernt format, note G)
                    81 GLX starts at JS1GS71L B2100001 (note L)
                    82 GZ starts at JS1GS72G C2100001
                    82 GLZ starts at JS1GS71L C2100001
                    83 GD starts at JS1GS72G D2100001
                    83 GLD starts at JS1GS71L D2100001
                    Hope this helps.
                    - So these frame numbers can verify the year of the frame. The FRAME.
                    - As others have noticed on your picture: the tank, carbs, rotors and most everthing else that is noticable looks like from 1982 or so.
                    - If the frame numbers match the title, thats one thing. Then can consider the question of the year on the title. Maybe just a clerical error some where in past transaction, dont know if these VIN numbers have the check codes imbedded in them like car VINs do these days.
                    - If frame numbers don't match the title, thats another thing, a bike of a different color. (ha ha, opps, should not joke about it.)
                    - Possibly isn't a concern for you any longer, with you having a buyer. Or maybe not.

Again, good talking to you SlawMan.

Comment

You've heard the expression a picture is worth a thousand words.
                      This thread is proof. Nick, that was excellent and I think Karl may be right on the frame idea as well. The fact that the turn signals are round up front and square in the rear shows there has been some fitting going on. Looks like the bike is a resurrection of parts and pieces from several years. From the looks of it, who ever did the work loved it up really good. Nice looking bike. Congrats to the buyer, at 650 dollars he didn't go wrong thats for sure!

Comment

I have just added the subject photo (snagged from ebay listing) to my original posting. (Hopefull not too much of an annoyance to SlawMan, he seems like a decent guy.)

Comment

Working...
                        X