Still fouling sparkplug after rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still fouling sparkplug after rebuild

A few weeks ago I had the rings replaced, bores scrubbed up to allow rings to seat, valves lapped, new valve seals fitted and a new cam chain installed as number the engine was burning oil and #3 cyclinder was getting oil fouled. Now some 1600km later the sparkplugs on #1 and #2 are perfect, #4 is fractionally darker but ok, but #3 is still fouling and the engine is using just as much oil as before if not more (used some 800ml to cover 450km 400km after the engine work was performed). I would think that 1600km is more than long enough to break in a new set of rings. Don't know what the compressions are now but before the work #1,3,4, were around 130 and #2 100.

Comments and suggestions must welcome.

Re: Still fouling sparkplug after rebuild

Does the shop you had do the work have a good reputation? I would suspect the quality of the work done. Possibly wrong rings, excessive end gaps, poor fitting of valve seals. etc. There has to be something done poorly for the problem to still exist. I would take the bike back to the shop that did the work and tell them I wanted it right this time.

Earl

Originally posted by AnthonyC
    A few weeks ago I had the rings replaced, bores scrubbed up to allow rings to seat, valves lapped, new valve seals fitted and a new cam chain installed as number the engine was burning oil and #3 cyclinder was getting oil fouled. Now some 1600km later the sparkplugs on #1 and #2 are perfect, #4 is fractionally darker but ok, but #3 is still fouling and the engine is using just as much oil as before if not more (used some 800ml to cover 450km 400km after the engine work was performed). I would think that 1600km is more than long enough to break in a new set of rings. Don't know what the compressions are now but before the work #1,3,4, were around 130 and #2 100.

Comments and suggestions must welcome.
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

old smokey

How many miles where on the bike before the over haul? That will give you a clue as to weather it needed much more work than you got or you requested, rings and seals won't help worn sleeves or guides, in defense of the rebuilder if you requested minimal work due to budget, well you got what you paid for, but if the builder was told to fix it and didn't bore it and put guides in(if needed) and also tell you what it needed upon tear down, and give you a estimate as required by law, then its on him,

Comment

Bike had 80000km on it when work was performed. I had expressed some concern after the initial 500km. but suggested I wait until after I had done this 1100km round trip http://www.brassmonkeyrally.org.nz).

Budget was not a prime consideration, the work to perform was discussed beforehand and while bike was disassembled (was told bores and all bearing in good condition). Rebuilder was an unknown quantity but an guy who was of an older generation and had worked on the 1100's as a young fella.

Does look like poor workmanship, shop had already stated that they will fix the problem (at their expense) but will be seeing them again tomorrow morning.

Cheers for the replies.

Anthony

Comment

Working...
        X