My 82 GS850 fouled a plug today ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 82 GS850 fouled a plug today ...

I was riding when the bike fouled a plug. Guess I found it unusual since I have been putting about 200 mile a week with no problems. The only thing that has been done recently is changed the oil to synthetic and new spark plugs, which were gapped and seated correctly. Got plenty of spark, but my workshop manual indicated carbon fouling. Any idea?

Which plug? #2? if it is #2 it is probably your petcock diaphram going.
    Dink

Comment

looking down from the seat, left to right, the outside plug on the left (clutch) side. I think it would be number one. Like I said, just weird to have it go just like that.

Comment

Could have been just a bad plug

Comment

Changed plug, but fouled shortly after. I suspect that there was quite a bit of fuel in the cylinder that could have fouled it, since I limped it home on the fouled plug. I haven't tried another new plug yet.

Comment

foul

more than likely a carb problem needle/seat, crap in the system, when you put the new plug in does it last for a while? pull the float bowl with the carbs still on the bike, remove the float and needle, put a clear container under the valve seat and put the petcock to prime and run some fuel out, then shut off and check the fuel for crap/rust flakes, also check the needle tip for damage, if ok re assemble and try it to see if that helps, should not take more than 1/2 hour

Comment

Another very easy check...take off the plug cap and inspect the wiring/connection. Clean it up or cut off a little and re-make the connection. I know you said you had spark, but just moving the cap/lead for spark inspection, can make a poor connection work well temporarily.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Changed the plug once again. Ran it for about 12 miles, enough to heat up the engine. No problems so far. I will keep expanding my range to see if it truly was the plug. Usually have good luck with NGK plugs too. Thanks for all of your help. Nice to see there are so many GS owners out there. Happy riding!

Comment

Working...
                X