Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 GS650GL Wiring Problem? Bad Coil?? Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS650GL Wiring Problem? Bad Coil?? Help!!

I have an 81 GS650GL I have rebuilt the carbs, installed new plugs and caps and new intake seals. I am only gettin fire on 2 and 4 If i switch the negitave from the 2 and 4 coil, On the right, to the left coil i get spark on 1 and 3. The bike has been sittin for like 10 to 12 years. When the guy originally parked it all it needed was the intake gaskets and he didnt fix em..so...now this is where i am at. so does anyone have any ideas or a wiring diagram so i can try and find out where the short is or the bad connection? for the coils i have a black white leader, and an orange white leader, ow is the + and the bw is -. on the other coil i have ow and solid white. ow + and white i am guessin as -. Please email me or post an answer

HaroAirBoY@aol.com
    THanks
    Tony

If you have the Clymer manual, do the tests of the ignitor. Sounds to me like it's bad, unless the wire is open somewhere between it and the coil.

Comment

re

thanks man

any idea how much they cost?

Comment

My friendly parts place said $450 (after tax) for a new ignitor. So I am definitely gonna look used or do a whole new ignition setup. Dyna has an awesome setup for the GS bikes. They don't specifically call out the 650 though, but I'd imagine they make one...right...??? I hope so.

And will the ignitor out of another model (550 or 750 lets say) work on a 650? thanks a lot, I have a SIMILAR problem here. :P

Comment

I think you should check your plug wires. As far as I know one coil should power the #1 and #4 cylinders and the other should fire the #2 and #3 cylinders. By your problem description it sounds like you have one coil powering #2 and #4 and the other powering #1 and #3.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/
          https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4306/35860327946_08fdd555ac_z.jpg

Comment

Re: 81 GS650GL Wiring Problem? Bad Coil?? Help!!

You have your coils connected wrong. The left coil spark plug wires go to the 1 and 4 cylinders. The right coil spark plug wires go to the 2 and 3 cylinders. The negative terminal of the left coil connects/is wired to the left ignition pickup on the breaker plate at the end of the crankshaft. This normally is a black wire. The negative terminal of the right coil is connected/wired to the right ignition pickup on the breaker plate. This is normally a white wire. Someone could have reversed the colors though. Just be sure left crankshaft pickup goes to left coil and right crankshaft pickup goes to right coil.

Orange/white wiring harness leads are 12 volts + power to the coils. This is the switched supply lead.

Black white leader should be going to the - terminal of the left coil. Orange white is the + terminal of either coil.

Solid white leader should be going to the - terminal of the right coil. Orange white connects to the + terminal.

The black white leader and the solid white leader will be plugged into a double plug in connector behind the left side case (beside the battery) and that connector will continue the wiring connection to the crankshaft pickups on the right end of the crankshaft. Check the connector plugs under the left side cover as they are prone to corrosion.

Earl

Originally posted by RiceRedliner91
            I have an 81 GS650GL I have rebuilt the carbs, installed new plugs and caps and new intake seals. I am only gettin fire on 2 and 4 If i switch the negitave from the 2 and 4 coil, On the right, to the left coil i get spark on 1 and 3. The bike has been sittin for like 10 to 12 years. When the guy originally parked it all it needed was the intake gaskets and he didnt fix em..so...now this is where i am at. so does anyone have any ideas or a wiring diagram so i can try and find out where the short is or the bad connection? for the coils i have a black white leader, and an orange white leader, ow is the + and the bw is -. on the other coil i have ow and solid white. ow + and white i am guessin as -. Please email me or post an answer

HaroAirBoY@aol.com
            THanks
            Tony
            Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
            X