Mikuni vs Dynojet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mikuni vs Dynojet

The main jet that I took out had 122.5 printed on it, and the one I put in was a dynojet 130. Did I put in a smaller jet than what I had and does anyone know approximately what size 122.5 would be in a dynojet?

Also what does moving the needle clip do, as in which way adds fuel and which way reduces it?

Lowering the clip richens the mixture by raising the needle. That's where the taper on the needle comes into play. As the throttle is opened the needle goes up which allows more fuel to be pulled into the air flow. As the needle goes down the taper widens which closes off more of the needle jet hole. Lean the mixture out by raising the clip and that lowers the needle.

Comment

Re: Mikuni vs Dynojet

Originally posted by booboo13

does anyone know approximately what size 122.5 would be in a dynojet?
      A 130 will be close

Comment

I know a 138DJ is very close to a 130 Mikuni. So a 130DJ would be very close to a 122.5 Mikuni. There are comparison charts on the web if you look. There was one at this site recently but the sizes did'nt go down that low. Maybe doing a search here will turn it up?
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
          I know a 138DJ is very close to a 130 Mikuni. So a 130DJ would be very close to a 122.5 Mikuni. There are comparison charts on the web if you look. There was one at this site recently but the sizes did'nt go down that low. Maybe doing a search here will turn it up?
          This one? http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/dyno-mikuni.htm

Comment

Originally posted by robinjo
            Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
            This one? http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/dyno-mikuni.htm
            Yeah. That's the one that does'nt go down low enough in this case.
            Just looking at the chart quickly, it seems to me there's probably a mathematical formula to determine matches.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

looking closer at that chart, it also says it is a size comparison. But it says they flow differently because mikuni's are chamfered, does this mean that if the 122.5 is close to 130 in size would it possibly flow like a 134 or is the difference in flow only very slight?

Comment

Bike is running mostly smoothly again. I put the 122.5's in and lowered the clip one notch. There is a significant difference in the 122.5's and 130DJ's. It doesn't get almost any power below 2-2.5k rpms. Could this be due to out of sync carbs, or wrong fuel mixture screws? It also pops on decel.

I remember also someone suggested a while back to switch spark plugs to either colder or hotter to fix popping... Anyone have this experience or remember?

Comment

Originally posted by booboo13
                  looking closer at that chart, it also says it is a size comparison. But it says they flow differently because mikuni's are chamfered, does this mean that if the 122.5 is close to 130 in size would it possibly flow like a 134 or is the difference in flow only very slight?
                  The DJ's are determined by the size of the hole. 1.3mm is a 130.
                  Mikuni's are determined by the cc's of fuel that will pass through in 1 minute. A 130 DJ is very close to a 122.5 Mikuni. Neither jet will flow like a 134.
                  In my opinion, if you now notice a significant change (based on your latest post) it's not because of the main jet swap. It's most likely moving the needle or poor carb synch or ?

Comment

I'm guessing I need to still get a 134 at least and put the needle back up to #3. This will probably solve all problems, don't you think? But at least its rideable =]

Comment

The mains are not causing your popping and I doubt the 2,000-2,500 rpm loss of power. The mains take over at 3/4 throttle and above. Decel' popping and low rpm problems are generally pilot circuit problems, but the jet needle can have an "overlap" effect at lower rpm's.
                      You have to test at different throttle positions and take plug reads to get an idea of what each jet circuit is doing.

Comment

before I changed the jet needle the low end was essentially good so that's why I think putting it back and going with an even higher main will be what I need to do.

Comment

Working...
                        X