Side stand switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side stand switch?

Boy I thought I was having a good day. Every little issue solved without a lot of running around. Swapped out the tach cable, handlebar, left hand switch module, and a cracked turn signal (don't ask - but someone else paid for it). Except for the horn , everything lit up except the starter motor. I have rechecked every connection on the bike (all I can find) to no avail. The side stand indicator light stays on when I put it up, and I cannot get it to go off. I am hoping that is the problem. When I operate the switch by hand the light dims a little, but stays on. Anyone ever have a switch go bad?

Re: Side stand switch?

Yeah, the switch wears out and just stays on no matter what position the sidestand is in.

Earl

Originally posted by weeble
    Boy I thought I was having a good day. Every little issue solved without a lot of running around. Swapped out the tach cable, handlebar, left hand switch module, and a cracked turn signal (don't ask - but someone else paid for it). Except for the horn , everything lit up except the starter motor. I have rechecked every connection on the bike (all I can find) to no avail. The side stand indicator light stays on when I put it up, and I cannot get it to go off. I am hoping that is the problem. When I operate the switch by hand the light dims a little, but stays on. Anyone ever have a switch go bad?
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

So may I assume that switch will act as a cut off until bypassed or replaced?

Comment

On my 1150, all the sidestand switch does is turn on an indicator light on the dash. It doesnt cut off/kill anything. With the warning light on, you can start the bike up with the sidestand down and ride it away with the sidestand down.

Earl

Originally posted by weeble
        So may I assume that switch will act as a cut off until bypassed or replaced?
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I think if the battery is fully charged, then its got to be either the starter button (on my bike is a button) or the starter/solenoid its self. I would try to take the right hand grip apart, and clean the connection on the starter switch. My bike wouldnt start at all when it was dirty, just from sitting. Hope this helps a little

Jake

Comment

When I rebuilt my 82 - 850 I was checking all of the electrics (engine not running) and was puzzled as to why the side stand light was on even though the side stand was up. I unplugged the switch and the light was still on. It did the same thing you mentioned about just getting brighter. Out of desperation I checked the wiring diagram to find the side stand switch will come on whenever the engine is not running. It is tied into the low oil presure switch through a diode and will be on until the engine gets oil presure. Once the engine is running, and the oil presure light goes out, it will work like you think it should. I have no idea why it is wired like this but the wiring diagram showed it to be correct. If you remove the headlight assy. the diode is in that wiring rats nest in a peice of plastic tubing. It does not however, have anything to do with starting. Hope this helps.

bob

Comment

Got the diagram and checked the diode too. It must be the start button, I did not put a tester on it, just checked the wiring. The timing is what is suspicious. It always worked before, and unless I pulled something in between connections it should not be the button. I just hope that is what it turns out to be when I get a chance to get back at it. Frustration level was too high to think clearly last night.

Comment

What the heck are they trying to block in the word s u s p i c i o u s ?
                Nevermind - it contains an ethnic slur..... :?

Comment

Good info, Wingnut.

I had a similar problem with my '82 850 but the light would stay on no matter what -- even when the engine was started and there was enough oil pressure to satisfy the sender.

The PO had apparently tired of the light staying on and pulled the bulb; I wanted the warning, since I've been known to ride away with the stand down. (!) Few things make you feel more intelligent.

Solution? I unplugged the diode. The sidestand warning then worked fine.

I prefer Yamaha's approach (in that era) which was to kill the engine if the sidestand is down AND the bike is out of neutral. Oh well... In any case, I'm pretty certain that the sidestand warning system has no way to disable the ignition or starter.

The clutch lever switch is another story.

Comment

Working...
                  X