overheating problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

overheating problem

Okay, when I ride my stock (except for K&N stock filter replacement and electrix R/R) 1100E at highway speeds (or faster depending on where I am riding) for a while my oil temp starts to rise. Eventually getting upto around 265 degrees. My bike doesn't run badly or any different at this temp, but from other posts I know this is to high. The carbs have been synchronised, rebuilt, etc., and my charging system is in good condition. Timing is correct (should an inductive timing light work I couldn't get it to so I had to use a direct hook-up light?) I do kind of wonder if my valves are off. I did adjust them like some previous posts suggest: on the tight side of .005. Whereas, I could get the .005 in the gap with rough drag, and .003 not seeming to touch at all. This was less than 300 miles ago. The previous time I adjusted them I set them a bit looser, and still had high temps, but only upto about 240-245. Also, I cannot get the plugs to a tan color. They tend to stay dark gray. The mixture screws are around 2.5 turns out each adjusted to where the idle seemed best.

I feel that my bike is running well although I have never ridden any other except a 550 for a few months. It pulls through all of the gears, right upto redline (well if I do wind it up before I change gears I only let it get to about 8000 rpm). It idles between 800 and 900 rpm, and after readjusting my floats to a more precise 22mm and cleaning my sparkplug boot caps she seems to start with no to very little choke. There is no bogging hesitation or any difference in the engine performance when it is hot compared to when it is just warmed up. Also, the petcock functions properly, and after taking the fuel cap off and apart it seems to be unobstructed and in working order.

Hopefully someone can give me some suggestions.
    Thank you,
    Billy Miles

That's why I don't buy an oil temp guage. Ingnorance is bliss. Just kidding I've actually been thinking of getting one out of Dennis Kirk. How does yours attach?

Comment

Oklahoma is a hot state. You may want to invest in an oil cooler. If you do, also buy an 1150 oil filter cover. If you use the stock cover your oil will not be diverted to the cooler for maximum cooling.

Comment

Are you using Regular or synthetic oil? Some people shy away from synthetic oil but it will stand up to higher temps longer than standard stuff.

Comment

I use Castrol GTX 20W-50. I like the oil cooler idea, but wouldn't that be a bandaid and not a fix? I mean the temps here in Oklahoma haven't been to high, mostly mid 80s to 90s. I would rather repair the problem than just cool it and potentially slow it down.

Thanks,
          Billy Miles

Comment

Any one else have any suggestions?

Thanks to those that have already posted their input.

Comment

I live in arkansas, and My 1100 runs the same temps as yours. I installed an oil cooler on mine. It is just hot in this area, not like up north. Mine is in a good state of tune so I do not believe it is a band-aid fix. I also believe this is why the 1150's started coming with coolers on them.

Comment

Mine is in a good state of tune so I do not believe it is a band-aid fix. I also believe this is why the 1150's started coming with coolers on them.
                I believe the engineers had thoughts on putting coolers on the 1100's very early on. For whatever reason they didn't. It's no more of a band aid than a cooler on a transmission that is used for towing.

There really isn't much you can do to lower engine temps other than 'don't ride'.

Comment

How do your plugs read? You may be running lean.

Comment

Originally posted by basaraj
                    How do your plugs read? You may be running lean.
                    He said dark grey, which sounds kind of lean.

Try adjusting a bit richer, it will no doubt run cooler even if you are stoich

Comment

Working...
                    X