Wont Start. Very Sad.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wont Start. Very Sad.

This morning I put the key in turned it to on. The lights came on brightly, and I clicked the kill switch to run. I pushed the starter button and nothing. No click, no light?s dimming, no nothing. Rather than committing to push starting it all day, I left it there parked at home and took the dreaded DC Metro. I am very sad now. I was hoping to never have to do that again. Please help.
    For some background on the bike, it is a 1980 GS850G with a 2 month old battery. I drive it to work every day, and I drove it last on Friday. It has run fine without any electrical problems at all, the new battery was just a precaution, as the previous one was old and had been aloud to sit and discharge several times. It was raining when I got home Friday, so I did not cover it, I covered it from the following morning until this morning when it would not start. So one suspect for me is if water got into the kill switch box on the hand grip. Any troubleshooting suggestions are appreciated.
    Patrick

I have to admit I don't always follow the MSF's recomendation of using the kill switch, and I kinda doubt alot of people do. So, I'd say your initial diagnosis may be correct (plus, it's happened to me). The kill switch basically controls every function related to starting the bike. When it does it to me, I just flip it back and forth a few times and it works. Some electrical contact cleaner spayed in there may help loosen some more of the corrosion.

Comment

one of the reasons I stopped using my kill switch besides for plug chops and emergencies.

Dm of mD

Comment

one of the reasons I stopped using my kill switch besides for plug chops and emergencies.

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101

Dm of mD
          I hate to say this but did you check the fuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Hobbit
            Originally posted by Detman101

Dm of mD
            I hate to say this but did you check the fuse.
            Or the clutch switch.

I always use my cut-off switch.......I'm a MSF instructor.
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

I did have the clutch in, but I did not check anything beyont the FINE C process. It starts in Neutral with no clutch at all, but I usually hold it anyway for good measure. Since I was going to be late for work by taking the metro, I did not explore any possible remidies this morning. This list should get me closer to a solution when I get home.
              1) check the fuse.
              2) clean out the cutoff switch, as it may be gunked up.
              Anything elce?

Comment

It was the starter solenoid.
                Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by whodatpat
                  It was the starter solenoid.
                  Patrick
                  How did you figure it out?

Comment

Working...
                  X