Break in period?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Break in period?

So my top end rebuild is basically finished and I expect to be back on the road in a few days. Should I be breaking in the motor after this work and if so how should I approach it?

Also, when installing a new filter do I have to prep it in any way? i.e. spary with oil or something?

I'd treat it as a brand new engine and just use dino oil, not synthetic for breaking in. (I'm sure I'm gonna hear about this). Don't lug the engine or wind it out for long periods. Just normal (?) riding should do it. Then change the oil and filter at 600 miles like the manual says. you don't have to prep the oil filter at all.

Comment

I'm with Jeff on this one. Synthetic oil will not allow the new parts to bed in properly

Comment

Correct - no synthetic. As for breaking it in there are many and varied viewpoints. There isn't a race bike (or car) that was ever made and ridden moderately - they all run the p!ss out of them from the start. Whatever you feel comfortable with is how you should do it. I run them a bit on the hard side myself and have never had a problem with any engine I've built.

I also change the oil after about 100 miles. Dino again, then after the next oild change it's synthetic. The 100 mile oil change w/ filter is maybe not necessary. I do it to get rid of the bits of contaminants from the rebuild.

Comment

Good advice above. I personally break in at various speeds and don't open it up for close to 1,000 miles. To each their own. I too, would change the oil at 100 or 200 miles and change again at 1,000 miles.
          Might I add, I've always been told to use straight 30 wt dino oil during break in. No multi-wt. This suggested by Vance & Hines, among others.
          (I wish I had more opportunities to break in new engines.)
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
          X