dumb question about checking oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dumb question about checking oil

i am very new to all this and i just recently got an 81 550l. my question is this: where is the oil tank? i know it needs oil but i cant find how to put it in. where and how do i add oil to my bike. i spent forever in the garage trying to figure it out but had no luck. so someone please help me out. thanks
    bret

right hand side, above sight window.

Comment

There is no oil tank. The oil goes into the crankcase via a screw cap on the engine (look above the brake pedal). Check the level in the sight glass near it . Any more questions then please post. There is no such thing as a dumb question, only dumb answers.

Comment

Pleeease, I have heard some dumb questions.

Comment

OK Nert, I'll give you that.

Comment

I think it's on the right side (as you're sitting on the bike) just below the carb. It's a round metal plug with a straight tab across the top of it. Here's a photo that might help:

If you think of the big round housing just aft of the Suzuki emblem on the engine as a round canteen, the oil plug is the cap at the top. There's a dipstick attached to the inside of the plug.

At least, this is how my 450 does it.

Dave

Comment

And when you add to or check the oil level, always have the bike on the centerstand. The time to add to or check the oil level is after riding or with the engine warmed up well. Before turning the motor off, put the bike on the centerstand and then turn it off. Wait a couple of minutes for the oil to drain down, then check the level.
              Don't check oil if the bike was turned off on the sidestand or was on the sidestand at all. You'll get a false read.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I always thought you hold the bike upright, but not on the center stand. The center stand will tilt the bike slightly foreward thus giving a slightly incorrect reading.

Comment

thank

thank you all. that picture and the descriptiomns helped a lot. so now i know where its at but the cap doesnt seem to want to come off. is there a special way to take the cap off.?

Comment

Just use a pair of pliers, sometimes they get sticky when they have been warmed up

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips
                      I always thought you hold the bike upright, but not on the center stand. The center stand will tilt the bike slightly foreward thus giving a slightly incorrect reading.
                      I blieve the correct method is to put it on the centerstand to check the oil. That is what is stated in the Haynes manual I have. Neither of my two user manuals says specifically, but they definitely say to put it on centerstand to change the oil and refill it. Since you have to verify the correct level then, it would seem a safe assumption that is where it would be most accurate.

For me that is often a problem because when I am off on a trip with the bike loaded up and me dragging ass late in the day it can be a real hassle to wrestle it up on the centerstand. I have tried to match up the two. I have checked the level on the centerstand; then taken it off to see where it reads. But the results don't seem to be consistent. One time they are close to the same; the next time they aren't

It strikes me as being very dependent on the grade where the bike sits. What you would really have to do to be consistent is determine the correct pitch with a bubble level and duplicate it every time. I don't know anybody who does that

Don't check oil if the bike was turned off on the sidestand or was on the sidestand at all. You'll get a false read.
                      Keith, this is the first I have heard about this sidestand consideration. Can Can you expand on it a bit?
                      Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Comment

Re: thank

The cap unscrews counter clockwise to loosen. With the bike on the centerstand, remove the cap. As you pour oil in watch the sight window on the lower side case below the cap. There is a high and a low mark on the case next to th window. Oil level should be inbetween the marks. Add oil a little at a time and wait 10-15 seconds as it takes that long for it to change the level visable in the sight window. If you put in too much, you must drain some back out. Too much oil (overfilling) is BAD. Dont do it!

Earl

Originally posted by bretw
                        thank you all. that picture and the descriptiomns helped a lot. so now i know where its at but the cap doesnt seem to want to come off. is there a special way to take the cap off.?
                        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Re: thank

Originally posted by earlfor
                          Too much oil (overfilling) is BAD. Dont do it!

Earl

You also loose horsepower! 8O
                          Kevin
                          E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                          "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                          Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I'm surprised anyone would question that the centerstand method would be the most accurate. Putting the bike on the centerstand results in the rear wheel raising maybe an 1" or 2? That has no significant effect on reading the stick or looking at a sightglass. The centerstand certainly keeps the bike more level than the sidestand. It might not be convenient for some to use the centerstand but it's still the most accurate way to check and add oil. The oil is supposed to be checked on a reasonably level surface. If you're on an incline, then you have to adapt.
                            If you stand the bike up and straddle it, that would work to check a dipstick (just don't wobble) but are you going to sit on the bike while you add oil too and re-check? If you only have a sightglass, how do you see the glass if you're still on the bike?
                            Also, I've always noticed that if you turn a warm bike off on the centerstand, the level will be, say, half way up the glass. If you then take it off the centerstand and put it on the sidestand or just lean the bike and then return it to the centerstand, the level will be higher in the glass. If you take it off the centerstand again and deliberately lean it more and pump the forks, the level will rise even more when you check again. This is just a fact. Before I change the oil, I always lean the bike way over and pump the forks to get the most oil drained out of the valve area. I also do this in preperation of taking off the valve cover to adjust the clearances the next day. You would be surprised how much less oil is up in the valve area to make a mess.
                            I have'nt checked my factory manual to see if they specifically say to check it on the centerstand, but I can see in the pictures that's how they are doing it. I have to believe Suzuki intends for the oil to be warm and the bike as level as possible before turning it off. This would give the most consistent reads. If you turn the motor off before putting the bike on the centerstand or don't use the centerstand, then your reads would vary more.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                            X