OK, starting my 1st project bike. The 1150 of DooM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, starting my 1st project bike. The 1150 of DooM

I finally bit the bullet and decided I had to start fixing up the engine on the ole' GS1150 project. This was the first time I've ever pulled carbs or really even pulled an engine cover off. I need to do this stuff myself so I can a) learn how to do it and b) so I can spend all the money I'm saving on other stuff for the bike, like frame mods and rearsets etc..

In its current state it has a burnt out clutch, a bad starter clutch and it's been sitting for the better part of a year since it was recovered after it was stolen.

I managed to pull the fairing and all its electrical goodies. So now all that's left is the frame/engine and what's left of the wiring harness. I'm starting to scare myself because looking at it doesn't make me feel like it'll be done by the end of the summer. Well, I think I can do it *fingers crossed*

Pulled the carbs put on some pod filters- hoping I won't have to change the jetting too much- cleaned out the bottom half of the carbs

Installed a new billet cam chain tensioner- though I have no idea how to adjust it :headscratch:

Pulled the clutch plates but now I'm stuck because I need some special tool to hold the basket still while I remove the nut

My one major issue right now is trying to figure out how to fix the starter clutch. Without that fixed I can't start the bike to see if all the other stuff I did actually worked. I think I have to buy some kind of special tool (of course) to get it out of there.

JC whitney has the tool you need for around $30 looks similar to a pair of stretched visegrips.

Comment

The Haynes manual (#737) shows how to make a clutch holding tool. 8)
      Kevin
      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

Yeah, I saw that too. Looks easy enough, except that I would have to go and buy a bunch of tools and some flat pieces of metal to make it.

I'm all for buying tools though. I don't even have a drill right now :roll: Next on the list as they say.

Comment

thats kind of like the roundtoit jobs I have ( they get finished when I get around to it)

Comment

I'm sure I'll hear back on this, however, you can knock that nut loose with a breaker bar and a crisp wack with a hammer, just to break it loose..If it dont come loose after a try or 2, get the right tools...Do it in neutral if ya try that...Call APE and get exact instructions on that can chain tensioner...There is a sequence to it.It will mess up things if done improperly and cause more grief...Tight just right, its a "feel", Too tight, no good, obviously, too loose, no good.
            EULC ON

Comment

I've always had good luck using a shop rag stuffed in between the primary gears and a breaker bar although you do have to clean off the red fuzz afterward....

Jim

Comment

air wrench to break loose inner hub nut. I personally would replace it with a ape nut while off. You need the cam cover off to adjust your cam chain. Around 1/8 up and down slck is required. You can actually get a feel for them by hand spinning the engine. On the pod deal...best go get a dyno jet kit. Save you a lot of touble in the long run. Good Luck!

Comment

I've always had good luck using a shop rag stuffed in between the primary gears and a breaker bar
                  This has worked in the past for me. I have also heard of using a penny (copper = soft) to jam the primary gear teeth. An impact wrench is the best way to get this off, but a bar and hammer can do it if you are careful.

Mark

Comment

THe easiest way to undo the hub nut is to put the clutch plates back in , put the bike in gear and put your foot on the rear brake! then all you need is the 32mm socket and a breaker bar. If the clutch starts to slip you just press on the plates and it will grip.
                    Dink

Comment

Working...
                    X