Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge Cluster Swap

hey everyone, IM glad to find this site

I picked up a 83 gs550es that needs a few things, anyway for starters I need a new gauge cluster. What years and bikes had the same (or close to) gauge cluster? Has anyone ever swapped one from a different bike? mayber a newer one.

thanks

no one has ever done this?

Comment

for that model bike you are limited to one from a like model (83-85 550e)
      or one from a late model 750/700, 83-85 would also work with a couple modifications.
      the cluster for the 1100 used a mechanical tach so it won't work on your bike.
      it is possible to modify a cluster from a later model bike as long as it uses a electronic tach.
      I am currently in the process of adapting a cluster from a 83 1100E to my 80 1000G

Comment

your 83 550 is similar to the 750/1100 versions just asthetically different. yes these are hard to find in good shape. what is wrong with yours that it needs full replacement. I just opened mine up to see why my tach was doing 360 loops and found my needle was not on its pin very well. while I had it opened I cleaned all my electrical connections with contact cleaner, relubed my speedo, and the other guages with very light 3in1 oil, and replaced a few burned out bulbs. all my problems have been solved.

OOOOOPS forgot about the mechanical tach on the 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Don Watson
          your 83 550 is similar to the 750/1100 versions just asthetically different. yes these are hard to find in good shape. what is wrong with yours that it needs full replacement. I just opened mine up to see why my tach was doing 360 loops and found my needle was not on its pin very well. while I had it opened I cleaned all my electrical connections with contact cleaner, relubed my speedo, and the other guages with very light 3in1 oil, and replaced a few burned out bulbs. all my problems have been solved.

OOOOOPS forgot about the mechanical tach on the 1100
          thanks guys that helps me out in my search

Comment

I run GSXR Gauges on my OLDE GS1150.....I rewired the Gauges....not the loom and made up a stainless steel Mount, no problem
            remember though alot of new bikes use powered gauges and not mechanical one's

Comment

Originally posted by joe.d

most excellent tail lite sticker :twisted: :P

Comment

thanks cant remember where I got it....I think it was from Proctologists weekly....

Comment

If you check on ebay, be sure to search on GUAGE and GAUGE - this has to be the single most misspelled word in the English language!

Comment

is the cluster on a standard gs550 anything like mine, btw I need a new one because mine is nothing but cracked plastic. Thats how I bout it

Comment

Originally posted by joe.d
                      I run GSXR Gauges on my OLDE GS1150.....I rewired the Gauges....not the loom and made up a stainless steel Mount, no problem
                      remember though alot of new bikes use powered gauges and not mechanical one's
                      Do you know when that switch occurred? The cluster on my 82 is cracked all the way through and I'd much rather look at a swap to a newer style cluster than combing through eBay for a 24 year old design.
                      edit: Something like

that would be more what I had in mind, but I just don't know the specifics of what I can make work just by looking at wiring diagrams versus what will require adapting to an electrically based tach/speedo system, etc...
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2006, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X