Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re-index and replace bearing of a welded crank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-index and replace bearing of a welded crank?

May I request some advise from your experience -Could we re-index and replace the main bearings again or the rods of a *WELDED* GS1100 crankshaft? Or to do some maintenance work again to it?

Yes to all your questions. There are several places I know that can easily repair it. Personally I probably would not try it at home although I have the equipment to do so.

Comment

Chris, Thank you for your information.
      May I have one more question ? If there is a old crank in fair condition, what should be the minimum work to be done for it for a good street bike purpose ( may be have a big bore kit). Where can I have this service and what will be the price around for the work?

Comment

APE or falicon are probably two of the best known for crank work. I have used them both in the past with good results. Depending on the crank bearing inspection would be great. Thats where they tear down the crank and inspect all the bearings rods and mains. They will also inspect the pin area for roundness. Then reindex ,weld then balance the crank. If it was a crank in fair condition I probably would use APE. Falicon likes for them to be absolutely perfect to the point of doing things I feel unnecessary. I actually once sent a crank to falicon with less than 1000 miles on it and they sent it back as junk. I sent it to APE and drag raced it for years.

Comment

Working...
        X