float height??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

float height??

I know this topic's been done to death, but i've done alot of searching and i'm still not clear on where I should be measuring. I know it's from the gasket surface to the bottom of the float. It that the ABSOLUTE bottom of the float? or just the flat bottom part of the floats? I have cv carbs (81 gs550). Thanks!

While looking at the float with it upside down and resting on the needle, you should measure to the highest point while looking down the float and at eye level. There is some roundness to the float but you want the measurement to be from the highest point on the float, which is on the backside of the float (the squared off ends) near the tang adjustment on the float.

Picture would help here but I do not have the ability...anyone?

Scud

Comment

Here is a pic from the Carb Cleanup pages...

Comment

I"m having the same issue. If you look at the diagram in the suzuki shop manual the picture ther indicates that it's not to the top or flat surface of the float but rather the top of the rounded or circular bit which is about 1 mm below the top or flat surface. But, I have just tried to adjust the float hight to 22.4 mm to the top of the circular part and it really reuqired some serious movement of the tang and I jsut wonder if that can be right? My carbs were set to22.4 mm to the top of the flat top surface but I think it was running to rich and bogging as a result. Having said this I don't really have enough experience to be sure and I wonder what the experts think? Earl? Keith?

Comment

i am not expert, just anal.

The other specification the book gives is fuel height, which is really more accurate and telling than fuel float settings. SO!! i got an extra fuel bowl, cut a square hole in it and installed a plastic window. I then scribed a high fuel line and a low fuel line mark on the plastic window. (according to specifications) I then fit the windowed bowl to each carb, flow the fuel and SEE where the fuel level is actually at. I drain the fuel from the bowl, make an adjustment as needed, refit the bowl and flow the fuel again. I will do this several times until i get all 4 carb fuel levels close to each other and where i want them. Taking the anal one step further, after all the adjusting is finished, i flip the carbs over and measure fuel float level. Them damn floats are all over the place, some up some down. AND thats with new fuel needles and seats. So, measuring just float height is "ball park" good. (i got some half assed "lab" pictures of the procedure but don't know how to post them)

Now to really go too far, i think i can set the fuel levels close with my window method, THAN>>.............>> If i remove the drain plugs from the bottom of the bowls, install fittings and connect all (4) carbs together with hoses between the fuel bowl drain fittings all (4) fuel levels will equalize and be EXACTLY the same across all four carbs. For really big fuel demands each carb will be filled by its own needle and jet, but return to that perfect equal settings during normal fuel demand.

what ya think about that.

and if thats not enough, ?after days of sleepless nights? i developed an easy to apply conversion "kit" to modify the carburetor sync screws that ELLIMINATE the jam nut!!!!! No more getting the perfect setting, just to have it change when you tighten the sync screw jam nut (which is not always so easy to get to) Just adjust the screw and stop when the adjustment is correct.

Comment

I used to bench set my floats for years. Then I finally decided to do it right and attach a hose to the float bowl drain and check it. Sure enough, my bench settings weren't even close. Use a hose gauge.

Nert, you sure are anal, but I'll bet your carbs flow nice!
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

OK... so now for the million dollar question... what reference surface do you use to measure fuel height? I assume its the bottom of the inside surface of the fuel bowls?

Comment

does that mean i get a million dollars for answering this question??
                the fuel level should be 5.0 +- 0.5mm or (0.20 +-0.02 in) from the lower surface of the carburetor body. That is with the carb vertical and level in normal running position.

Comment

Hook me up with info for these hose gauges guys?

What to use to screw into the bowl drain and where to get it.

Thx

Comment

Hook me up with info for these hose gauges guys?

What to use to screw into the bowl drain and where to get it.
                    Suzuki has those hoses for sale, don't know how much though.

I was impaitent one night, so here is what I did. I took an old float bowl drain screw and drilled a small (1/8" or so) hole right throught the center of it. Then I drilled about a 1/4" hole halfway through the hole I just made. Then I took a 1/4" x 3/4" hollow brass bushing that I got at Ace hardware for about 6 cents and hammered it into that hole. It held snug. Then I made sure I had a new rubber washer on the screw threads and another rubber washer on the outside of the brass bushing, and pushed some 1/4" clear vinyl hose onto the brass bushing, pressing the rubber washer hard against the screw head. No leaks!
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Working...
                    X