Tank Rust removal and prevention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank Rust removal and prevention

I have an '86 GS550ES. What is the best way to remove the rust from the gas tank? And is there an inhibitor out there I can put into it so I don't have the fine rust powder clogging up my carbs every year. Thanks!!!

Go to the SUDCO website and look for a product called Rustol. Looks like good stuff to me. Pricey, but if a few people split the cost it could be cheap. It's reusable and a little goes a long way.

Comment

I purchased a 1 liter bottle which was about $60 shipped. I diluted the concentration 10:1. AMAZING!!! Rust is gone. On to the carbs. Thanks!!!

Comment

My tank had a few rust spots on it.
        But, I went to the extreme of stripping it down to bare metal, grinding away the rust with a metal brush, filling the grooves with spot putty, priming and then painting. I was going to paint my tank anyway

Comment

Tank rust

Had my tank redone after sitting for ten years with gas. Inside was a mess. Company called Tank-ReNu in Eden Prairie, MN refurbishes all kinds of tanks from industrial to motorcycle. Long process of acid bath, religning with some kind of tough black material and then baked for 24hr. Warrantied for 15 years. Approx $100 for it. They also offer a do it yor self kit. Visited the place and there were about 50 motorcycle tanks waiting. Most were for HD. The acid bath and baking ruins the outer paint.

tabsr@comcast.net

Comment

Oh my gosh!!! After letting the tank sitt with Rustol in it over night, I got more rust in it than I had before! A call to Sudco resolved the issue, I think. They said that the 10:1 dilution is not enough to coat the tank, that's why the rust started. They recommend a 5:1 so that the chem's can do the job and coat at the same time. At $57 per liter, it's not a cheap solution. I got another bottle and will try the lower diltuion. We'll see what happens.

Comment

Kreem kits work great for me ($30).

Comment

Kreem sux!

I bought a Kreem kit and followed their instructions to the letter. Worked fine for a couple of months, but then started peeling out. Pulled the stuff out of my tank in big sheets, with more rust behind the stuff than there was when I started (thankfully, just surface rust, from what I can see...). Next time, I'll go to Gas Tank Renu (there's one in Indian River, MI, just a half-hour drive from me), or try POR-15 if it won't wreck my paint job. Probably Renu to get the rest of the Kreem out, though.

Comment

www.por15.com I just recently used there tank restoration kit and I am so far happy with it. Its a 3 step process and I belive was aroun $47.00 shipped. If you have an extra 10 bucks I would recomend buying an extra quart of the marine clean. They give you 1 quart it gets the job done but 2 would have been nice. The metal prep was amazing, it actually removed rust on contact right before my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by ztec
                    www.por15.com I just recently used there tank restoration kit and I am so far happy with it. Its a 3 step process and I belive was aroun $47.00 shipped. If you have an extra 10 bucks I would recomend buying an extra quart of the marine clean. They give you 1 quart it gets the job done but 2 would have been nice. The metal prep was amazing, it actually removed rust on contact right before my eyes.
                    I second the approval for POR-15. I did two tanks last year and they came out great. Plus the chemicals are much safer than the Kreem stuff.

Joe
                    IBA# 24077
                    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
                    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
                    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

OK, so an Update on the Rustol Tank project. Well day 2 and the Rust in the tank has disappeared. I used the 5:1 ratio and it is looking good. Will it stay that way? We shall see. The claim is it puts a coating on the metal after you rinse it out which prevents the rust from coming back. I keep you all updated. Now I can get to those carbs again.

Comment

Working...
                      X