Trouble getting back into neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble getting back into neutral

Well, First off let me say I am a newbie. :roll: I just got my '79 GS425 from a friend ( FREEBIE ) and have been rebuilding it in my free time. It is my first bike and I don't know as much as I should. When I got the bike it hadn't been run since '87. After playing with the breaker points and oil change and cleaning the carbs it is running. Well I like riding it around the yard right now (bike is not street legal yet, missing most of the front end and plates[new front end in the mail]) but I find it difficult to shift back into neutral form both 1st and 2nd. I can sometimes get it to work but usually end up stoping the engine and rolling the bike back till it clicks (a few inches), then I can shift into neutral. I am wondering if this is something normall or if this is something I should look into further. BTW I can't find this problem in my repair book. Also THANK YOU Everyone, this site has been a huge help in my rebuild so far.

Any help or similar experience remarks would be helpful. Once again Thanks again.

Usually this is caused by your clutch cable being a bit too loose. tighten the cable some by twisting the adjuster out on the lever. Make sure you still have a bit of slack in the cable when the clutch is all the way out though, so your clutch will engage fully. If you haven't already, change your oil too.

Comment

Tried both already.

Actuallt I've tried tightening the clutch cable to the point where I snapped the lever when I pulled it in (Fixed the lever until the new one arives). I also changed the oil and filter about a week ago, granted the inside of the of the crank case is so black inside I can't see through the window on the crank case. Added a bit of the old SeaFoam engine detergent to the crank case to clean it up inside. I'm sure 17 Years of gunk is not helping matters.

Comment

Some clutches just like to do this too. When I had Barnett fibers in I couldn't shift into neutral if I was stopped with the engine running. I put OEM fibers in on my last clutch change, and now I can shift to neutral.

Comment

Thanks Luke, So you are saying nothing to worry about, just more of an inconvience than anything.

Comment

Working...
          X