Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have a question ... anybody ... please help me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a question ... anybody ... please help me?

I tore my bike down to clean away rust and have had trouble getting it started since i put it back together. It was not giving me any lights on instrument panel or doing anything electrical. Now I have lights wired correctly. Signals work. Headlight works. Instrument panel lights work. Horn works, Brake light works, but starter will not work.

I hear a sound coming from the base of the engine when key is in "on" position and the engine "run" switch is on. If I turn the "run" switch off I hear the sound come to a slow stop ...slowly stops (sounds like something rotating or grinding??)

Becomes louder if battery charger is on fast charge???

Any Ideas???? PlEASE HELP .... want to ride ..... really bad ...

thx

Rosco

My only guess is that the starter motor is spinning but not engaging the gear that attaches to the flywheel/rotor. I'm not knowledgable about the GS450 so that is just a wild guess.

Hap

Comment

solenoid maybe.......

but I hear the rorating noise without hitting the start button... so i am not even trying to start just turning the run switch on activates this grinding sound. If i try to start her, she does nothing and the lights dim. even with the battery charger on "high amp start" it draws current down. Is the solenoid on the left side ... to the left of the R/R and Ignitor??? I am wondering if that is it..
      solenoid where is it ........ and should the black wire with the white stripe be on the left under the black battery wire and the yellow on the right under the red battery wire????

I need help bad

Comment

Rosco, it sounds to me like you might have something wired incorrctly. Do you have a manuel for your bike with a schematic? If you do follow the wires coming from the run/kill switch and see if the are going where they are supposed to go. (Without a schematic it is really hard to tell you exactly what to look for). Where abouts in NC are you? I'm in Burlington, but I work in RTP so if you are any where close by maybe I could come by after work and look at it. I'm not saying I could fix it but two heads are always better then one when it comes to electrical problems.

Comment

greensboro, nc

i do not know what it was, but it stopped doing it.... it took me rolling and then popping it into gear to get it started and now everything is working fine again..... except for the thing idles up high to like 4000 rpm's for no reason and i have to choke it to get it to drop back down to normal. hey you want to ride up and check it out let me know ....

Comment

Re: solenoid maybe.......

It sounds like you have an incorrect wiring connection, probably from your ignition switch.

Earl

Originally posted by rosco
            but I hear the rorating noise without hitting the start button... so i am not even trying to start just turning the run switch on activates this grinding sound. If i try to start her, she does nothing and the lights dim. even with the battery charger on "high amp start" it draws current down. Is the solenoid on the left side ... to the left of the R/R and Ignitor??? I am wondering if that is it..
            solenoid where is it ........ and should the black wire with the white stripe be on the left under the black battery wire and the yellow on the right under the red battery wire????

I need help bad
            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

well all things have started working

I have been riding it around my neighborhood for a couple of days now testing it out. everything seems fine now the choke was what was causing the high idle .... duh. I should have looked at it more closely. I was running on full choke.... and starting it with no choke... :roll: welli am still learning ......... all over again. have not rode since i was like 15 years old and now i am twice that... hey listen guys thanks for all of your help. the GS450 LF is running great. just needs tires and a plastic side panel that the pegs were broke off of. tried to glue them back on but they didn't stay. any suggestions on used parts and tires.... i mean like places here or online or can you still get these things from a dealer. I have no clue

thx

Rosco

Comment

Used parts.......e-bay, here, or if your lucky... a local Japanese bike junkyard.

Tires..... if you're on a budget, but still want something fairly good...... run King's. 2000 miles on mine, and no problems/unusual wear. Still run smooth too. King's are about 1/2 price of Dunlop's. I would stay away from Cheng Chin. I beleive these are also known as Maxiis. Good price, but bad reviews.

Chad
                Columbus, OH 1978 (same year as me) GS550E

Comment

Working...
                X