Idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Idle

After 4 months in the shop, was I ever ready to get my 81 850L back on the road.....took it in to start with because at about 5000rpm it was fading out and losing power and vibrating.....

Now it is running great on the high end but it is idling at about 2000 rpm....
    I haven't laid a wrench on it yet and am not inclined to take it back to the same mechanics.....could it be that i just need to reset the throttle cable to a lower idle? or is it likely that in the process of rebuilding my carbs that the idle circuit is now messed up?

Have you simply tried turning down the idle adjustment?

Comment

its in the carbs

every now and then when the bike is cold it will idle down like it ought to
      as soon as it gets hot it is idling at about 2000 rpm......and wont come down no matter what.....

Comment

Under the carbs is the idle adjustment screw. When cold my 850 L wont idle where it is supposed to either and my carbs are spotless. Get it good and warm and then idle it back to 900 to 1100 rpm. Mines cold natured so when warming it up I get it to stay at about 600 to 800 then take off. Usually by the 2nd traffic light (mile and a half) its warm and setting right at 1100

Comment

thanks

i didnt know there was an idle adjustment under the carbs...
          i will try that

thanks

Comment

You have the same bike I do. If it is as cold natured as mine is then the bike has to be really warmed up to set the idle. Ride it for several miles and then pull into a parking lot. Reach under with your left hand, being careful not to get burned and turn the adjustment knob till ti gets to about 1000 rpm and then blip the throttle. Let it settle and then ride a couple more blocks and check it. If everything else is OK then it should be right at 1000 Make fine adjustments till you get it where you want it. I run mine at about 1050 to 1100 and it runs great.

Comment

Working...
            X