Running lean..............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running lean..............

Will running a bike without the airbox/filter (open carbs) cause a lean burn?

I'd think that you would not really want to do that for any extended period of time... think of all the crap that could get in there.

Normally, isn't your vacuum affected partially by the restriction in the intake which normally includes the air filters? I would figure Vac would be at least a little bit lower without the air filters than with...
    Maybe i'm wrong...

Perhaps the vacuum would be the same, as it's based on volume displacement, and throttle response would just be quicker as it takes less time to get the air into the chamber?

Comment

Re: Running lean..............

Yes, it will cause a lean condition extreme enough that the bike will not run.

Earl

Originally posted by cozee
      Will running a bike without the airbox/filter (open carbs) cause a lean burn?
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

hey there earl, would that just be likely, or would that be something you say would for Sure happen?
        cuz I have *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ty pod air filters, and one of them fell off... I was able to limp it home with what seemed to be no performance differences that I could tell at all...

Comment

If you have rejetted/adjusted and synched the bike to run with pods, then having one fall off would not be as severe since the restriction with pods is minimal anyway. You would likely be down on power on that cylinder but possibly not noticable if not heavy on the throttle. With a stock intake system, there is more restriction and changing from a substantial restriction to no airbox or filete (no restriction) will create an excessively lean condition which usually results in the bike not running.

Earl

Originally posted by rongant
          hey there earl, would that just be likely, or would that be something you say would for Sure happen?
          cuz I have ####ty pod air filters, and one of them fell off... I was able to limp it home with what seemed to be no performance differences that I could tell at all...
          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks all!

This is not a permanent situation. I am attempting to ressurect this bike from the dead (so to speak) and have been eliminating problems as I go. I've have had the carbs off a few times and hesitated to reinstall the air box assembly until I know it will be for the last time. I guess I will just have to suffer through the installation of the airbox along with the carbs!

Comment

Greg, just wanted to let you know that it does get easier everytime you do it. I've had to do mine about 50 times in the last couple of weeks. You know the old saying practice makes perfect.

Comment

Working...
              X