GS ignition replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS ignition replacement

Has anyone used any other manufacture to replace their electronic ignition other than Dynatek? I found the deal of $99 for a Dyna 3 on their web site and it listed 10 available, so I of course ordered one 2nd day delivery. When it didn't arrive, I called. They first told me that the part was back ordered and it would be a month. I called back to find out what other unit they had and Scott told me the quanity on the internet isn't alway updated and he would check, but they shouldn't be making any more Dyna 3's. Has anyone use Boyer Bransden ignitions?

Thanks

I must have just bought and installed one of the last Dyna's then, sorry. However, a friend of mine uses exclusively Boyers on all his stuff. He's a collector with about ten various vintage bikes and swears by Boyer. He's never had any problems with them at all. They make a great product.
    '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

I would encourage you to go with the Dyna. They are considered the absolute best by many for a reason. It's what I put in my GS1000 and I am glad I did. It was one of the best things I did to the bike.

Be sure to check out the Central PA Countryside Ride! in the meeting place on this forum if you care to join us. Your only 40 minutes from me.

Rock on!

Comment

Supposedly the Dyna "S" is the one they recommend now for the older GS models. Replaces the Dyna 3 and uses less components.

Comment

You may be able to find one on EBAY, or at a dealer but you will pay more. The Boyer is a good alternative. They have alot of listings for the smaller bikes that Dyna never offered kits for

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I also searched the older post and found others that used the Boyer ignition and are happy. I have been in contact with Dynatek and they will put a Dyna 3 together for me and send it today for the price I ordered it. I would have considered the Dyna S but the cost difference was $122 over the sale price of the Dyna 3. Besides, the web site said they have 10 in stock. You shouldn't advertize something you don't have!!!!!!!

Again I thanks the readers of GS resources for all of the help. I'm sure I'll need it again someday.(not too soon) I hope I can be helpful to someone else as I learn more about the GS1000G.

Comment

GS ignition replacement

I had a Boyer Bransden on my '79 550E.Damn thing went bang and took out my coils.Mebbe it was a rogue unit,but I went back to points & condensers.A bit more maintenance but they won't leave you stranded. :P :-({|=

Comment

Not that it will make you feel any better, but when I ordered a Dyna 3 from them it took 3 weeks to get because of a computer problem on their end

Comment

I'd recommend the Dyna S, they're an excellent product, and every 1970's era race bike I see has one fitted. An alternative is the 1980 and up Suzuki electronic ignition, I've never heard of one playing up, although I think I'd replace the stock coils with 3 Ohm Dyna coils for a fatter spark. I wouldn't return to points if you paid me! :twisted:

Comment

Working...
                  X