stator paper questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stator paper questions

has any one here have first hand testing knowledge of the "stator papers" tests. I am getting 12-20vac from the stator. is 75 to 80 real. Seems high. but i would like to here from somebody that did get 75-80 vac. And yes, i am having a charging problem.
    thanks

Re: stator paper questions

Originally posted by nert
    has any one here have first hand testing knowledge of the "stator papers" tests. I am getting 12-20vac from the stator. is 75 to 80 real. Seems high. but i would like to here from somebody that did get 75-80 vac. And yes, i am having a charging problem.
    thanks
    Yep. Used the papers several times over the years and the numbers are accurate. Are you revving your engine to 5K while doing the no load test?

Comment

Dan is correct...you need to bring the RPMs up to 5000, hold that speed, then take the AC voltage measurement. You should get between 75 volts and 85 volts.

Hap

Comment

Dan
        thanks for the prompt reply. Yes i am running it up to 5000rpm as the papers state, with the leads unplugged and checking between and (2) pair of stator wires. Looks grim now.
        thanks again for your help.

Comment

Well the fortunate part is that a stator is fairly easy to change. One guy on here even rewound his own but that is beyond my patience. There are after market ones available and electrex makes them for the GS's. Been there done that.

Comment

Guess yours is fried. Mine tested just like that when it went to stator heaven.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
            X