Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove a ignition Lock. And what bike s it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove a ignition Lock. And what bike s it?

I am picking up a bike today sight unseen. They said the steering is locked.
    How do I take out the switch? I am looking at my Clymer and don't see it here.

Also The guy doesn't know what it is he said 1200 and I asked if he was sure about that because I didn't think they made a 1200 back then he said no he wasn't sure that maybe it was 1500 or 1600. hahaha He said it was huge. It's funny but I ride a gs1100gl and I don't consider it huge, I'm 5'3 140lbs maybe. He also said it's shaft driven.

What bikes were produced that year (1982) and were shaft driven.
    I am thinking it would be a gs1100gl or glz. He just kept saying it was huge.

Be careful, make sure the bike wasn't stolen.

Comment

Okay..

I suppose that is a possibilty. He does have the pink however I think it was stolen at one time and that is how it has ended up being a project bike.
      I am after the parts. I can always back out of the deal. It isn't costing me a lot of money and the gas tank alone would be worth the price I am paying.

Do you think having the pink slip is good enough? Checking the Vin of course.

Comment

If you just need the parts, use a dremmel tool to cut the lock off.

Comment

What bikes were produced that year (1982) and were shaft driven.
          I am thinking it would be a gs1100gl or glz. He just kept saying it was huge.

Huge is a matter of perspective, isn't it? Next to a GL1800 Gold Wing, any GS bike is puny looking. Yet 20 some years ago, the GS used to be considered a huge bike. I remember when a 750 was a "huge" bike.

Anyway, these are the 1982 model GS shafties:

GS650GZ
          GS650GLZ

GS850GZ (I owned two of these from 1986 to 1996)
          GS850GLZ

GS1100GZ
          GS1100GLZ
          GS1100GKZ

Notice that they all have the "Z" suffix, which denotes a 1982 Suzuki GS model by definition. The "G" stands for shaft-driven; the "L" model is the cruiser-type useless model with too much chrome, uncomfortable seat, and not enough fuel tank.

The first GK model came out in 1982. The GK was nothing but an 1100 shaftie with Suzuki factory fairing/lowers, bags, crash bars, and saddlebags. It also had a heftier triple tree and wider forks. Same engine as the regular 1100.

Suffix years for shafties:
          N for 1979
          T for 1980
          X for 1981
          Z for 1982
          D for 1983
          E for 1984

I have a GS1100GKE, a 1984 GK, the only 1984 model shaftie in North America. That's because Suzuki had too many leftover 82 and 83 models in warehouses and at dealers, due to the recession in the early 80's.

Hope this helps.

Nick

Comment

Oh this is great information! I will have to cut and paste this one.. Thanks a lot..

Comment

Oh this is great information! I will have to cut and paste this one.. Thanks a lot..
              Yea, Nick sometimes amazes even me - and that's hard to do. Mr. Shaftie would be an appropriate nickname. Maybe the Shaftmaster, or Duke of Shaft, or ... I couldn't help myself - sorry Nick. 8)

Comment

Swanny, you can call me anything you want -- just don't call me late for dinner.

Shifty Shafty Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Diaz
                  Huge is a matter of perspective, isn't it? Next to a GL1800 Gold Wing, any GS bike is puny looking....
                  I parked my bike next to a BMW K1200LT yesterday (or something equally big), and thought I was riding a minibike.

the "L" model is the cruiser-type useless model with too much chrome, uncomfortable seat, and not enough fuel tank.
                  Well, at least noone can say you don't have an opinion. Oh yea, I agree.

Proud "G" owner

Comment

Funny you mention parking your GS next to a K1200LT BMW. Below is a photo of my GS1100GK in front of my good friend's K1200LT. Notice how much longer the wheelbase is on the newer bikes. Notice also the styling of a 21st-century motorcycle v. one whose roots date back to the late 60's and early 70's.

Yet both bikes give us owners a great deal of pleasure, and we go to the same places and do the same things. Main difference is my GK is paid for.

And yes, Jeckler, no one can accuse me of being wishy-washy in my opinions.

Nick
                    [img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TQCFAhwXjYH2bruad6kl7eS3XBEgV8s4PdxnG*UXJo5cvwLUp Ir*t!GzbbKAd85iZtVwkYK8MhJgnAmLT9Ah8Zl5rqE1zGOgyoP umNLXV8ccyJaBd5YMHQ/April%2024ab.jpg?dc=4675478681931440711[/img]

Comment

Working...
                    X