Moody fuse blowing on 82 Gs 450.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moody fuse blowing on 82 Gs 450.

1982 gs 450 L. 11,000 miles. I have had this bike for over a year and had the same main fuse in there the whole time. It blew a few weeks ago so i replaced it and bike ran fine again. Problem is if bike sits for more than a day or so the fuse will either be blown when i go to start it, blow when i start it, or blow about 10 seconds after i start it. Sometimes I'll run through 4 fuses before i get one that will hold, sometimes the first one i put in does the trick. the bike will run for hours after i get a fuse in there that works. it will shut off and start back up fine after resting for a period of a few hours or less but when i leave it overnight is when i have the problem. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

1982 gs 450 L. 11,000 miles. I have had this bike for over a year and had the same main fuse in there the whole time. It blew a few weeks ago so i replaced it and bike ran fine again. Problem is if bike sits for more than a day or so the fuse will either be blown when i go to start it, blow when i start it, or blow about 10 seconds after i start it. Sometimes I'll run through 4 fuses before i get one that will hold, sometimes the first one i put in does the trick. the bike will run for hours after i get a fuse in there that works. it will shut off and start back up fine after resting for a period of a few hours or less but when i leave it overnight is when i have the problem. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    The bike really shouldn't be able to blow a fuse while it's off, as your post implies. Check to see if that is really happening. Are you using quality fuses?

Michael

Comment

When you have one that is working, and the bike is running; touch both sides of the fuse. If it is hot, than that circuit has resistance and this is your problem. Somewhere in the circuit it is either badly grounded, shorting out, due to bare wire or poor insulation, or a bad connector or crimp. Trace the entire circuit and check everything. Hope this helps!

Dr. Dre

Comment

I have an '81 450 and when I went to put the bike back on the road after sitting for 2 years I had all sorts of electrical problems. While troubleshooting I reached the point where I had power, but the fuse would blow almost immediately. I finally figured out that I had a grounding problem that was the cause.

Comment

Working...
        X