Coil Sugestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil Sugestion

Well, I figured out what was wrong with my bike that didnt want to start. I Tested the coils and they were within specs for resistance.. cold at least. But when I got the bike running, it would only idle really rough, and wouldnt even rev up. One side was burning really rich (you could smell gas) so I figured it had to be something with the spark again. I took out the plug #3 and it was wet, I grounded it on the frame, and started the bike, and it was sparking, but was weak, only sometimes pulsating strong. The others looked stronger, but could be better. I guess its just a bad wire in the coil? Either way, I think it would just be best to replace them both, since i Tested all the other components of the ignition system and they were OK.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what kind of coils to get? Just the ones from Suzuki? Or are there better quality ones? I saw alot on dyna coils.. are they any good? anyone had much luck with them?

I looked around on some dyna sites, and they dont have anything for hte little 550, i cant find anything from google, or ebay.

Thanks for the help getting hte bike running too.

Jake

have you tried just replacing the wires yet? that fixed my bad spark, I also opend my plug gap wider than normal.

Comment

how do you replace the wires? I noticed that they look like they are built into the coil.. where did you get your wires? How was your bike running before u changed them?

Comment

It's usually the plug cap or wire end. Pull the caps (unscrew them), clip off 1/4" of the plug wire, switch #2 and #3 caps and see if anything changes.

Comment

well, i did what you said, I cut off a little more, but they still reached. It did the same thing. After i let it idle for a little bit, i checked all 4 plugs. #1, and #3 were wet, and black. THe other two, were running perfect. I Think ill just go ahead and get some coils. Does dyna make them for the little 550?

Comment

If one cylinder is firing on each coil then I doubt your problem is coils. More likely synching or mixture problems.

Comment

well, I just cleaned out the carbs, all I did was take them apart, one at a time, and cleaned out all the gets, and everything else, and put it back together. What do you mean by sync problems? Could it be the electronic ignition modual? I noticed that its not grounded or anything if that matters. THe previous owner just had it attached by a tie strap. The signal generator is also ok.. What do you think it is?

Comment

if you took your carbs apart for a thorough cleaning then you will still need to do a manual and vacuum carb sync.

the manual is to get all butterflies opening at the same rate.

the vacuum is to fine tune the jets for proper fuel flow.

Comment

The ignitor doesn't need to be grounded, it has a ground running to it through the harness. The coils get there signal from the ignitor. If one cylinder is firing off each coil then the ignitor is doing its job. If you just had one cylinder giving you trouble then I'd say you might have a bad coil. But one cylinder on each of the two coils is unlikely.

Still points to carburation if you ask me. Do a manual synch to get the butterflies all opened as close as you can. Use a piece of wire or small drill bit for a guage. Number 3 is controlled only by the throttle stop. The other three cylinders have individual adjusters.

Comment

Alright, Ill try manually syncing them, and then ill let u guys know. A friend of mine let me borrow his coils too, off a running bike, so ill try those when i get the carb set (wtih the old ones, and the new ones) and see if they are any different.

Ill let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Jake

Comment

Working...
                    X