Tick..... tick.......tick.........tick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tick..... tick.......tick.........tick

Well, I've done some searches on ticking sounds, and none are really like the ticking I've been having lately.

Mine is coming from the front wheel, and goes away when I press on the front brake.

Checked the brake pads.... fine with lots of life left and no unusual wear. Cleaned the rotors up real well, and still........tick tick tick tick.

Is this maybe the sound that cables (speedo or tacho) make before they break?

My wheel bearings have less than 2K miles on them, so I don't think it's them. Cleaned and greased the speedo drive real well at that time as well.

I just can't figure it out, and it's driving me nuts!!!!!!!!!!

By the way, the bike is a 78 GS550E

Thanks,

Chad
    Columbus, OH 1978 GS550E

SOme thing.....in the tread of the tire perhaps......

Comment

I had the same symptoms. The ticking went away after I had the forks apart for new seals. I greased the speedo drive at that time, too. I think it was related to the speedo cable, and the bend in the cable changes when you squeeze the front brake. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks so much dietcokeking! I'm a diet Pepsi man myself, but seriously..... I appreciate the tip. Originally I thought it might me a due to stones in the tire, but it just happens way to many times and goes away every single time when I press on the brake.

You know, I had wondered if it was the cable. It's like it could be cut down about a good inch and still fit just fine. It has a big ol' bend in it. I do have the speedo drive aligned correctly, so that's not the problem.

I'll disconnect the cable and see if that's the problem.

Thanks again

Chad
        Columbus, OH 1978 (same year as me) GS550E

Comment

Working...
        X