Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mopolopo
    Are we allowed to laugh at that?

I guess I shouldn't be the one to laugh though. I had a petcock that leaked through the vacuum diaphragm, and I had the brilliance to pull the vacuum tube (full of leaked gas) off a hot bike, spilling gas all over the hot exhaust pipes (not smart). The gas just boiled off but for sure it was damn close to exploding. ](*,)

Michael
    You sure can. I think anytime I can pull off a stunt like that without hurting anything but my dignity its worth a chuckle.

What mine was, was a leaky fuel hose that dripped onto a (badly) spliced wire. When the tape disolved enough the wire arced, and the rest is history. Live and learn

Comment

Not a Honda 360 That was my first bike :\

Comment

Honda CB 360T, blue. It was my first bike bought new with the proceeds from a summer job in my junior year in high school. I was 20 when the immolation happened and it broke my heart.

Comment

oh, a CB. Mine is a 1976 Honda CJ360T. either way, very nice bikes. I think your model just had the dual exhaust? Disk brake in the front too.

I agree completely with ibex. It sounds like your jets are clogged or something else restricting the gas to the cyclinders. Are the plugs wet? If so, you may not be getting a strong enough spark, but it will fire with starting fluid (im pretty sure starting fluid is more flammable, thats why they use it instead of gas) so you wouldnt need a strong spark for that. Although its very doubtful.

And get a manual! .. I still need to get one

Comment

my baby, circa 1978.
            Jaykup, you have a good piont about weak spark and starting fluid. These bikes actually fire 2 cylinders at a time, and if the plugs or leads are in bad shape the stronger spark goes to the cylinder on it's exhaust stroke.
            Definitely worth checking.

Comment

I had the same problem with my bike when I got it. Here's the deal. Your carbs are jacked. Take them off the bike and tear them apart again. Let them soak in carb cleaner (you can buy this at any cycle shop and it comes in like 2 gal. cans). After soaking for a WHOLE DAY, take and air compressor and blow out all the holes (inside and outside the carb), check jet settings and float settings and reassemble and put back on bike. Now try to start it again.

If you have spark, fuel flow and your kill switch is set to run like you say, then it should start.

Why take the carbs off and clean them again you ask, well I'll tell you why. When your dad cleaned them the first time he got most of the gunk out of them, but not all of it. Water will turn gas into a glue like substance and clog everything up. When you put the carbs back on the bike it ran, but only until the gunk broke free and glogged up something. Just because your carbs have gas in the bowls does not mean gas is flowing through the carbs and into the intake.

I would also pull the hose from the carb the goes to the tank (pull the carb side of it and not the tank side). Put hose into a gas can and set your petcock (tank valve) to prime. You should have a fast flow of gas from the hose into the gas can. If not, bring that valve back to the dealer you got it at and request another one because that one is broke also.

Try those two things and get back to us. I would be almost willing to bet my bike on the carbs being your trouble.

Comment

One more thing that you may or may not be aware of ... even in perfect running condition, a lot of our GS's tend to be difficult to start when cold. My '80 550L, for example, with factory rebuilt carbs (several times over the years) has always been difficult to start cold. The ONLY, I repeat, ONLY way that bike starts cold is with the choke pulled completely out (and I mean tugged tight) and crank the bike over repeatedly without giving any gas at all.

It got slightly better when I upgraded the ignition with high performance electronic parts (although my bike already had electronic ignition), but it is a very finicky bike. I tend to agree with most of the others that there is still a problem with your carbs, but even after it's solved don't be too surprised if you still have to fully choke the motor and crank a bit to get it to start.

Keep in mind, when you spray starting fluid in, you're probably balancing the air/fuel mixture or even slightly flooding the motor with readily flammable fuel, but once it burns out even if you're getting fuel flow from the carbs there may be too much air in the mixture, SO make absolutely sure that you've choked it as much as you can...

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Steve 8)

Comment

does anyone have a diagram of the carbs for a 1977 gs750!any diagrams?

Comment

Help

While you're waiting for the manual and diagram. Find a hill, full choke no twist of the throttle, run switch on, key on, neutral to 2nd, let out clutch, see what happens.

Your carbs are probably gummed up as everyone else has said, but this way you'll be riding for a block or two.

Did anyone mention to change the gas in the tank, not add to it, but drain and fill with new? I can't remember, Carter
                    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

I don't know if this applies to your carbs, but mine have three jets per carb. It's easy to overlook the little pilot jet, because it's deep in a narrow hole that's capped with a rubber plug. If you miss those, you'll definitely have starting and idling problems.

One thing I've learned is to use good fitting screwdrivers on jets. If the blade doesn't fit properly in the slot, you can easily damage it. Brass is pretty soft. I have a set of gunsmithing screwdrivers that work like a champ, so I recommend them highly.

FWIW,

Comment

i already had the gas changed!!!

Comment

please help me!!!

knightrider...these guys in this forum know exactly what they're talking about, i bought a 78 gs750 about a month ago, it ran like sh&%!!! but thatnks to all the fine men and women @ this website they've helped me out by:
                          -- rebuilding the carbs, choke issues, higher speed problems, the list goes on, and on, and on
                          just remember to take your time on your ride....when it comes to bikes "patience is a virtue"(i know it sounds cheezy, but it is true) :roll:

Comment

please help me!!!

Comment

please help me!!!

all hoses and lines going to their correct [i]orifices?
                              i believe my hose coming from the tank is routed into the second carb inlet....if my posts are buggin' ya let me know...i've been in the same boat yer in right now, just tryin to lend a hand to a fellow gs brother!

Comment

My experiences with a similiar situation.

Be careful with the starting fluid!!!! I got a little zealous with it and ended up catching the bike on fire and ruining a PERFECT '78 GS1000 seat and paint job on the tank (minus the rust).

Keep an extenguisher handy (best advice in the world in my opinion).

The problem with mine was when you take the carbs off, flip them over and take the bowls off. You'll see in the center a slotted head, remove that piece and hold it up to a light. Mine was so gummed up that you couldn't see through it, a couple of quick swipes with some pipe cleaners drenched in carb cleaner and they were 'purdy'. I put the bowls back on and the bike fired up (after priming and choking of course).

MAKE SURE YOUR FLOATS ARE NOT STUCK!!!!! This has been my most recent problem, and the guys here helped me figure that out. If you end up having a float that is stuck, you will probably get a severe overflow out of one of the lines on the bottom of the carbs. Since it's such a pain in the butt to take the carbs out and put them back in, just cover as much ground as you can while you have them off.

Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X