please help me!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please help me!!!

i had this 1977 gs750 just given to me.it sat for 2 years.when i got it to my house,i pulled the carbs off and my dad cleaned them.when he gave them back to me he said that there was water in the bowls and that the metal of the bowl were starting to eat away from the water.i put them back on.i hooked up back the carbsand hooked up the gas.well the fuel petcock started to leak so i went a motorshop and he gave me another one off an 450 he said it wouldnt make a differnce.well i put that on.it now doesnt leak but when i tryed to start the bike it wouldnt.i tryed spraying alittle starting fluid in the carbs,i tryed to start it again well and it started until the starting fluid ran out,and it died.i tryed it with the gas again and still nothing!so can someone tell me whats wrong please!i would really appreciate it!thank you!bye!

p.s.but it will start for a sec with starting fluid but not just gas!!!

Well, this may sound stupid...... but if you haven't done so already, set the petcock to "prime", and wait for about 15 seconds. If your carbs start leaking gas...... well that's another forum.

Anyhow, assuming they don't, after the 15 sec. turn it to "on". Now try and start the bike. You may have to use full choke to get it started.

If you took the carbs off to be cleaned, and haven't primed them with gas before starting, I'll bet they don't have enough gas in them yet.

Comment

ive done that already!can some one please help me?what else can it be?

Comment

CHeck.......GAS in to Carb.....did you prime the carbs
        check Spark........whip out a plug check the for the clearance
        Id just bung in a new set , after I checked the gaps
        before you bung in a plug KICK the bike over with a SPark plug lead on a new plug placed near the fins of the bike and see if theres a spark

you can also use the starter motor but I wouldnt it would weaken the spark

check compression
        make sure the kill switch isnt on.....sounds obvious, but hey it happens
        MY bike wont start unless the clutch is pulled in
        best of luck mate

Comment

wheres the kill switch and why wouldnt you want it on on?

Comment

the Kill switch is on the right handle bar usually ...it kills power to the ignition

Comment

but it fires over with starting fluid!

Comment

Originally posted by joe.d
                make sure the kill switch isnt on.....sounds obvious, but hey it happens
                dont you need the kill switch on to get spark? my bike requires it

Comment

no u arent understanding me,if u spray starting fluid in it ,it fires over but if just try to start it with from the gas tank it doesnt do anything!

Comment

Originally posted by knightrider5869
                    but it fires over with starting fluid!
                    did your dad readjust any of the needle valves while he cleaned them?
                    does the petcock actually flow fuel when in prime? ( your 450 one could be bad as well)
                    did your dad set the floats to spec?

Comment

yeah

Comment

Don Watson
                        damn it you know what i mean

Comment

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

Comment

whats that supposed to mean? :P

Comment

just giving joe a hard time