• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS1100 cam chain rattle

Hi looking for some advice for my problem
    I have a 1982-3 GS1100E that I recently restored to running condition
    from a two year hiatus in somebodies garage. It has 10,000 miles on the
    speedometer. I know that the guy that had it before me did some work to the heads and put a four in one header set on it.
    I can not get it to idle consistantly at one rpm level
    It has a very bad knock or rattle that lessens as it warms to running temp and pretty much disappears at 13-1600 rpms. The motor runs fine except for these problems
    I recently posted about an oil leak and it was suggested that the cam chain
    tensioner may be at fault. When I really began to look at it, the oil does seem to sprout from this area. It made me begin to wonder if some of my other problems (the knock and the idle) may be related to this part working incorrectly or needing adjustment. Can they be adjusted or rebuilt? Does anyone think that this may be a possible problem?

One other question that may be alittle off topic
    What purpose does the little air pump that blows air into the tank have?

Thanks

Mike

Re: 83 GS1100 cam chain rattle

Originally posted by mackasenbach
    One other question that may be alittle off topic
    What purpose does the little air pump that blows air into the tank have?

Thanks

Mike
    Noise could be the infamous clutch rattle that is common to GS's. With 10k miles I doubt it would be the cam chain. The cam chain tensioner is an automatic unit, but if it has been removed there is a possiblity of incorrect installation. Do you have a service manual for the bike? A clymer or haynes manual would be a great asset.

The "air pump" ??????? Not sure what you're referring to? To my knowledge there are two parts connected to the fuel tank.
    1. Fuel valve(petcock)
    2. Fuel gauge sending unit which is behind a cover on the RH side of Tank and has an air vent tube running towards the rear.

Look up the part on bikebandit.com and it may give you an idea of what it is.

Comment

Is there anything that can be done about it if it is the clutch rattle?
      Is it a problem to be immediately concerned about?
      I know I will have to get a manual eventually just trying to stretch my salary
      Must be the fuel guage sending unit then/ never ran into one before!
      Going to try to keep it going really like the bike

thanks
      Mike

Comment

Originally posted by mackasenbach
        Is there anything that can be done about it if it is the clutch rattle?
        Is it a problem to be immediately concerned about?
        I know I will have to get a manual eventually just trying to stretch my salary
        Must be the fuel guage sending unit then/ never ran into one before!
        Going to try to keep it going really like the bike

thanks
        Mike
        GS engines are fairly noisy and in time one gets used to the sounds. I'm not sure about correcting the clutch rattle noise, but you might try doing a Search on the topic in this forum.

Comment

GS engines are fairly noisy and in time one gets used to the sounds. I'm not sure about correcting the clutch rattle noise, but you might try doing a Search on the topic in this forum.
          I haven't fired my engine up yet, so I don't know if the rattle is gone. I did notice that the old springs in the backing plate were very loose. I had a heavy duty backing plate welded in with new heavy duty springs. They are all tight now.

Comment

Both will make noice, the cam chain and clutch basket.

If you installed heavier springs and welded the basket, that noise should go away. Fire it up and just squeeze the clutch lever a few times.
            Notice any difference in sounds?

As to the infamous cam chain noises.
            My 2V motor had a rattle for years.
            When I rebuilt it years ago I replaced both chain tensioners.
            About $30 USd each. One chain, the front was VERY loose the rear not as bad but was over due.

To hear the difference stand on the left or brake side and a little behind, that will help you decide if it's cam chain. Unless you have a stethoscope
            to pin point better.
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

When the noise first started, pulling in the clutch would make a difference
              Now it doesnt make much of one
              I'll bet it very well could be the clutch making the rattle it takes a little playing with when you pull off in first. It has never slipped however that I could tell

Thanks

Comment

With the right tools, pulling that basket and replacing the springs ain't that hard.... I did it in a barracks parking lot in an afternoon under the Yuma AZ summer sun.

(Dang thing crapped out on me when I was due to report back to Tustin, CA the next day. Grr.... Don't ignore clutch noise "for just while longer")

Comment

Thanks for the tip Dark Jedi
                  will get to work on it

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X