Coil pack replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coil pack replacement

In replacing the plugs on the 82 yesterday, I didn't pay enough attention when reconnecting the plug wires and allowed one to droop against the exhuast manifold with the engine running. As far as I can tell, the only way to replace it is to replace the appropriate coil pack. What's the best source for this? I can't find a Suzuki part number on PowerSportsPro's fiche, and BikeBandit's listing is over $90 per pack (I'm inclined to replace both while I'm at it). Is there an alternative source for these, or an aftermarket option that would be less expensive and still reliable?

ebay has used coil sets.
    Use the search feature on this forum for coils. You will find tons of info on wire replacement, coil replacement and upgrades to Dyna. (worth the investment)

Comment

I didn't realize Dyna was an option for the breakerless ignition bikes. I'll have to investigate that. Thanks for the tip. I did try a search and virtually everything I found seemed to be in reference to the earlier points ignition systems.

Comment

I put a breakerless system in my 821100glz. works great. Comes with new electronic pickups/plate and spark box. Has 4 spark advance settings with just a twist of a dial. 4 more if you run nitrous. And a selectable rev limiter. I didn't buy direct from Dyna. Saved, can't remember who or exactly how much, about 50 dollars searching the net. If you give me a day, i can probably look it up at home. Let me know.

Comment

It is possible to replace just the wire! Best bet is to find some late model coils from Bandit, GSX

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
            It is possible to replace just the wire! Best bet is to find some late model coils from Bandit, GSX
            How would I go about replacing the wire - it's not listed as a separate part?

Regarding the late model coil option, is there any particular model/year that's best, or alternatively one that absolutely would not work, so I know what to look for on eBay, etc.?

Comment

Not much on ebay right now.

Some say the wire screws into the coil??? I found mine to be soldered to a post inside the coil. YOU MUST use solid core wire like original. Try HD shop I cut the outer case back about 1" along the length of the plug wire. Cut the plug wire off leaving 1/8" of wire exposed. to this I soldered the new wire. Then I mixed a two part epoxie puddy to cover the repair, building it up an extra 1/4" for insulation.

Comment

My wires were just glued in with something similar to hot glue. The only late model Suzuki coils not to use are off the latest Gixxers. They have a coil that attaches to each spark plug instead of a conventional plug cap.

Comment

Alright, I'll take a look at replacing just the plug wire tomorrow. If that doesn't work, this would be fine, correct?

Comment

Yes those will work

Comment

Thanks to all for the info. I was able to cut out the damaged section and move the plug connectors up to the remaining good section of wire (the connectors just thread into the wire). Worked great.

Now I just need to figure out why it starts running rough after about 5 minutes of warmup. Idles at 1200rpm just fine until I crack the throttle hard once, then it starts a very shake idle at 600rpm or so. Curious... Hopefully adjusting the idle mixture screws and syncing the carbs will remedy it.

Comment

Working...
                      X