80 gs750 carb problems, maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80 gs750 carb problems, maybe?

heyaeeh, my name is john and i have been reading this forum every since i purchased my 80' gs750et. ya'll have been a ton of help, i would have been even more lost than i am now if it wasn't for this forum and how to's(regulator/stator/carb)! this is a long story so i will try to make it short.
    general info me
    -1980 gs750et -live in raleigh, nc
    -dyna 2000 ignition -27 yrs old
    -vance&hines 4-1
    -carb. stacks(basicly no air filter)

(1) bought bike for $200 fom guy down the road. says he bought it from a freind with no carbs on it. so he found a set of gs750 carbs (supposely,unknown yr of carbs, there not cv's, there,hopefully, the vm26ss) and could never get it running right. he said it wouldn't run on all four cycl.

(2) got home cleaned carbs, replaced plugs, battery and started her and the guy was right, it was only running on 2 cycl. so i fixed that with a long, long, long painful search and turned out it was signal generator. replaced with dyna 2000 ignition(everything except coils)

(3) started her up and hell yea it runs like a champ(i wish, didn't think it was going to be that easy did u?) so got all 4 cycl. firing and it ran but idled uneven and spitted out of #1 carb. before finding out it was a spark thing i cleaned carbs 10+
    times and drilled jets, changed jets two or three times and adjusted float level. so read some where if you had vm26ss carbs w/4-1 pipes and pod filters you should rejet to at least 125 main jet, did that, ran even worse especially topend(stock vm26ss run 102.5 jets) so did the jet thing for the next couple of days and finally settlted at 110) tired of working on bike, so started riding it. runs pretty good but idled uneven and had no low end power. rode for two or three months like that(sucked riding it like that, but at least im riding,right?) went to bike week in myrtle beach had a blast until riding down hwy 17 and bike cuts off and the battery is dead(only 2 months old) so after picking bike up off the side of hwy 17 went home(still had a blast though!)

(4) (where im at now $1100 later and a lot of typing) so replaced regulator and stator/and battery and 2 wires that wore burnt up. started up and tested charging system. it works but still runs bad during lowrange and idles bad.

(5) so i gave up and called my longtime suzuki dealership that i should have stock in now and told them the big spill i gave ya'll. there reply was they don't know if the bike will ever run right with those carbs on it and i should be happy with it being close.

MY QUESTION:
    should i be happy with a bike that stumbles on low end and idles rough or do you see something i am missing? PLEASE HELP!

P.S. do you thinki if i put pod filters on it, it would solve the spitting problem?

VERY APPRECIATIVE
    JOHN

1980 models have CV carbs. Larger manifolds. I'd take the VM's off and get the stock set up or ? if you want the bike to run better. Then re-jet.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

heeeelp!

anymore suggestions?

Comment

I really don't have any experience with putting the older VM carbs on a bike that came with CV's. I think the '80 engines all had re-designed heads/manifolds to work with the new CV's. I just can't picture the VM26 working well in this set up. For a change, I agree with your dealers thought that you may never get the bike running acceptable with these carbs.
        If you're still interested, here's what I would try.
        You can always go with some new (or used) performance aftermarket carbs, buy whatever other parts they require and follow their advice. Or, you can start by finding the carbs that came on your bike. There will be no cheap way out of this. Used carbs, jet kit, pod filters (I don't recommend stacks on a street bike), manifolds that fit the stock carbs, and hopefully you can use whatever throttle housing and cable(s) you have.
        If you go with the stock carbs, after cleaning and probably rebuilding at least the o-rings and maybe the diaphragms, I would install the proper jet kit. Then a good carb synch before testing the jetting. Go from there. I recommend K&N filters.
        I think your time is worth as much as money and I just think you'll get nothing but frustration trying to make your present set up work.
        If you post a topic, someone here can help you with locating the CORRECT carbs for your bike. Carbs frequently do not have any I.D. on them and it's easy to not know if you really have the right carbs. Look at pic's in a factory manual, or share web pic's and compare before buying.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
        X