Yet another Stator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet another Stator question

I'm in the process of replacing the stator on my 1981 GS 850 G with the Electrex model. As I understand it, one of the problems with the current stator is the wiring: one wire out of the tree gets "dumped" right to the headlight. If I follow the direction on the Electrex, and just connect the new wires where the old ones were connected, won't that just perpetuate the problem?

So, what *do* I connect the three wires to? And, how do I get power to the headlight?

Thanks!

You eliminate the loop thru the light switch. Instead of hooking the stator wire to the headlight hook it direct to the reg. Just leave the two extra wires disconnected

Comment

Why the hell would they do a thing like that in the first place? You don't take such presumptive risks on a machine that's supposed to last... It's playing motorcycle russian roulette.

Grrr.

<my stator just went out and I'm pi55y and darn near penniless>

Michael

Comment

Need a stator?

I don't think we could make this work, Michael, but if you think we can -- I've got the stator I pulled out of my bike sitting in the garage. It was working when I pulled it -- but I clipped the wires VERY close to the stator itself, you'd need to do a splice INSIDE the oil-bathed compartment.

(I'm hoping to go on a long trip, so I did the upgrade before the Bad Things started happening. If I weren't planning on going to Canada, and hadn't found this group, I wouldn't have changed it.)

Comment

FYI - I finished installing the stator and RR. IT LIVES!

Comment

Working...
          X