Gear Oils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Oils

My manual specifies a SAE 90 with a GPL-5 rating for the seconday and final drives of my shaftie. Do i need to find this at a specialty store... my local auto parts place only had GL-5.

What make the "P" so special.

I don't know about the "P" I have an 83 GS1100GK and the factory manuel for it just say to use SAE #90 hypoid gear oil that is rated GL under API classification system. That is what I've used with no problems at all.

Comment

oil

Not sure since its been a few years since my hot rod days but the P may stand for posa-traction, or limited slip type diffs, it should be available at most auto parts stores, and it is a different oil due to the additves

Comment

at the auto store they didn't even have any 90 they had 85w - 90 and 80w - 90 ... so i just walked away. I'm gonna hit a bike shop in the morning and see if they have more options. But if i can get away with the other ratings i'll go for it.

Comment

For heaven's sake, guys, we have cheap bikes, so let's treat them as such. The GS is by nature a highly adaptable bike, not fussy at all with mundane items such as gear lube.

I'm in my 19th riding season riding GS shafties -- four 850's and now my 1100GK -- for 210,000 miles plus. The cheapest 80W90 gear lube found at Walmart or such discount place is good enough. I replace the gear lube in both middle gear and rear end once a year.

Just get the cheap lube, drain the old stuff out while it's still warm after a ride, and put in the required amount. Then forget about it and enjoy the riding.

Cheap Nick

Comment

Don't believe Nick! You need "Jim's Genuwine Motorsickle Gear Lube" 39.95 a pint plus shipping, handling and lunch. Order your's today. "Your bike knows the difference. Now that you know the truth you'll never sleep soundly till you change to Jim's Genuwine!" And say why not give Jim's Genuwine for Christmas presents this year! 8O

Comment

haha you guys must be those "bikers' i read about in the tabloids... with all yer fancy talk and iron butts.

I was just going by what the manual said and wanted to make sure i could divert from the recomended rating... hence asking one of you "old' guys... ahaha... the last bite is MINE!!!!!

kidding aside thanks... thats what i wanted to know. now put some extra padding on your seat and get a move on.

Comment

I went to synthetic gear oil in my Valkyrie final drive...much quiter and smoother. $8.00 a quart, 3 changes to a bottle...worth the exra dollar or two per change. I change it yearly. It works for me.

Comment

About ten years ago I went with synthetic gear oil, same grade. Couldn't tell the difference on my 850. So, I stopped spending silly money and went back to dino.

Just my personal experience. Someone else's bike may run better with synthetic gear lube; mine ran no better and no worse.

Cheap Nick

Comment

Went to synthetic oil in my Valkyrie, 15/50 mobil 1. Water temp went down 20 degrees as did the oil temp.. these temps were lower because of one thing only...reduced friction. dino CHEAP oil increases oil temps(wear) You may not notice...but your engine and drive train (final drive does) just ask it (temps). There is a big reason why temps go up with dino oils/lubes.

Comment

Glad it works for you in your Valkyrie. I'll save my money and go for the cheap stuff, which works the same. To each his own.

Comment

So i dump the wretched black gear oil out today... I've never smell oil like this.. i don't know when it was last changed.

So i went with nicks suggestion. i bought some 80W-90.... i run the bike and then top off the gear oil after the initial change.

i come back an hour later and there is a pool of clean gear oil under my bike. i haven't had a leak before. I grab a flash lite and follow it to the source ... an open hole at the bottom of the gear box...

anyone know if this is normal. is is cause i opens the oil fill after the bike ran and then added more oil?

anyone anyone?

Comment

Nick...that is just the point...it (dino oils) doesnt work the same. There is more friction(heat) which means more wear. Save that dollar...as you say...to each his own.

Comment

The synthetic/ conventional thing is just how often you change it, I don't like to change gear oil (it does smell disgusting, especially with additives) so I used some Mobil 1 gear oil left over from the car and haven't changed it in 3 years. I know that someone will say this means my bike will explode but its been clean when I checked it, and everything breaks on my POS bike anyway. On my car and bike I use cheap dino in the engine and change it often.

Comment

Originally posted by shotguntim
                              I grab a flash lite and follow it to the source ... an open hole at the bottom of the gear box...
                              Did you put the drain plug back in??????????????

Comment

Working...
                              X