Clip on handle bars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clip on handle bars?

Hi there, this is my first post here and I have a few questions, I am building a 1979 GS 425, I am planning on lowering the front( thus nessesitating the use of clip-ons) and I need to know where I can get bars that fit the GS forks, I would like to get used ones for the obvios cost reason, also I have noticed that there arent that many 425 riders on this board so what other than the engine is different about the 425, this way I can do what the 750 guys are doing.
    thanks,
    Chris.

It depends on the diameter of your fork stanchions, I know a lot of GS's have 37mm forks and a common mod for these bikes is using CBR600
    87-90 clip ons, they slide right on.

Comment

clip-on bars

Chris,

I used Woodcraft 37mm clip-ons and lowered the front end about 1.5". I bought them new because all the used ones I found were around the same price. I paid $130.00 and the used ones were around $100.00.

They worked out great after a little trial fitting. There are some pictures on my website if you care to check them out.

Dave

Comment

Why don't you just shorten the forksprings thus lowering the front end without sliding the forks higher up.
        I got clip-on bars on the 750 and its only comfortable above 100 kph since the change.

Comment

comfort

Originally posted by robinjo
          I got clip-on bars on the 750 and its only comfortable above 100 kph since the change.
          Since when have cafe racers had to be comfortable :P

Comment

Re: comfort

Originally posted by MrFluffy
            Originally posted by robinjo
            Since when have cafe racers had to be comfortable :P
            I'm not complaining Fluffy, but maybe Newtech would.

Comment

No I would not complain, I com from a sport bike past so the riding position is not a problem, plus I still have a young back, I am going for a look more than performance( it is a 425 remember).
              thanks,
              Chris

Comment

Then go ahead with the clip-ons, it saves you a lot of stress from your arms at higher speeds right up to topspeed, on my bike (without a fairing) you have to lie down on the tank upwards of 105 mp/h.

Comment

Working...
                X