Black smoke from crankcase vent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black smoke from crankcase vent

I was running the bike hard for about a half an hour to 45 minutes, and I noticed when I stopped at a light a lot of black smoke was coming out of the vent. I also noticed that my carbs were starting to warm up and my gas tank was very warm. I'm not sure what this means exactly, is it just the normal stuff that would get sucked back into the intake charge with the airbox, or is this an indication of a serious problem?

Well, boo seems you're another GSer to ingest a cigar smokin' midget while makin' a run!

Comment

Re: Black smoke from crankcase vent

Originally posted by booboo13
      I was running the bike hard for about a half an hour to 45 minutes, and I noticed when I stopped at a light a lot of black smoke was coming out of the vent. I also noticed that my carbs were starting to warm up and my gas tank was very warm. I'm not sure what this means exactly, is it just the normal stuff that would get sucked back into the intake charge with the airbox, or is this an indication of a serious problem?
      I'm not sure exactly what is causing the smoke but I know that "a lot of black smoke" is never ever good for a motorcycle. Gasoline is the only thing in a 4-stroke engine that is supposed to burn, and it does not make a lot of black smoke. I suggest NOT running the bike but instead letting it cool down and then change the oil. See how much you have, and if there are metal flecks or anything in it...

Michael

Comment

Doesn't running rich produce black smoke?? I could be wrong, but here is what I learned from wrenching on cars:
        Black smoke- too much fuel
        Blue smoke, Burning oil
        White smoke, burning coolant, doesnt apply to ann air cooled enging, but I put it in anyway. :twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by slowfoxbird
          Doesn't running rich produce black smoke?? I could be wrong, but here is what I learned from wrenching on cars:
          Black smoke- too much fuel
          Blue smoke, Burning oil
          White smoke, burning coolant, doesnt apply to ann air cooled enging, but I put it in anyway. :twisted:
          Yes, running rich does produce black smoke but not "a lot" of black smoke. And when it does make black smoke it comes from the pipes not the crankcase. If there was that much leakage from the cylinders the engine would never fire either.

Michael

Comment

Oops, i read it wrong!! :twisted:

Comment

Working...
            X