Gas tank blues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas tank blues...

I've got the 'my bike is flawless except for the million pinhole rust holes in my gas tank blues'.

I think the song title says it all.

Is there a crossover list for what other tanks might fit ('78 GS1000E), so I can replace it instead of recreating my tank completely out of JB Weld (it's getting to that point). I currently am using a Mtn Dew bottle with a 5/16th hole drilled in the cap, with a 3/8 hose running out of it (with a rubber seal on the backside of the cap to keep it from leaking out) for a gas vessel (also allows me to keep the gas about 3 feet away from any potential fire after the last flaming bike incident). This is to get the bike to a running state, but this is officially 'ghetto as hell', and I would like to have an actual gas tank.

There is a motorcycle junkyard (Rockdale Cycles) not too far from my house, that has hundreds of junk bikes they are parting out, and if I can find out which models interchange, then maybe I can pick up a gas tank in better shape (that doesn't leak gas).

Chris do a search on ebay motors under asain motorcycles for Suzuki GS and you will probably be able to find one in pretty good shape. If not then I would recomend using por15 their product will not only stop the rust but seals up small pin holes as well. http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=306

Comment

Any GS 1000 chain drive model, EXCEPT THE "L" model, from "1978", "1979", or "1980" will fit. The "78" models have an indention down the sides of the tank, apprx. 3/4 in wide, that the "79" & "80" model tanks will not have, but this indention is cosmetic & will not affect the fit.

Comment

Wow that's an expensive tank!

I barely have more than that in the purchase of it.

Great info on the interchange, I'll see what I can come up with when I hit the boneyard tomorrow.

Comment

I mounted a '80 GS1000G tank to my '79750E.

Comment

Working...
          X