handlebar vibration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

handlebar vibration?

I just bought handlebars (used). I noticed that they have no weights in the ends.What can i use to reduce the vibration that will not cost me an arm and a leg? Maybe something from my local ace hardware store?

Recently read another post in here about the silicone caulk and large ball bearings. Sounds like a good idea to me, I'm gonna try it this weekend myself! Only thing I might add to the previous post is that it might be a good idea to put in the caulk in phases. If you put it in all at once, the caulk in the middle might not ever cure!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Stay away from the mulch it won't work worth a damn.
      Seriously, a lot of things would work. You might try filling the bars with silicone caulk or maybe use lead shot and just caulk the ends. I used some inner bar weights from an old Yamaha XS400. They were cheap and worked great. I'm sure a local motorcycle junk yard would have some.
      Axel

Comment

The local bike shop keeps these things in stock, apprx. $10 bucks per pair. Try Dennis Kerk, J.C. Whitney, or any of the bike parts warehouses. Good Luck

Comment

cheap bar weights

I dident feel like spendin 30 bucks on weights either so I used an appropriate sized lag bolt and its expanding shielding about3 inches long with about 6 good sized washers on each end. Put it in about 2 inches into bar end then tighten slowly until it begins to catch inside bar. Works fine actually reduced vibration! Be a little carefull on the throttle side so the washers dont bunch up around the twist grip./ Hope this helps

Comment

Re: cheap bar weights

Originally posted by jakes
            I dident feel like spendin 30 bucks on weights either so I used an appropriate sized lag bolt and its expanding shielding about3 inches long with about 6 good sized washers on each end. Put it in about 2 inches into bar end then tighten slowly until it begins to catch inside bar. Works fine actually reduced vibration! Be a little carefull on the throttle side so the washers dont bunch up around the twist grip./ Hope this helps
            THIS ONE SOUNDS LIKE MATERIAL FOR TIPS AND TRICKS 8O 8O

Comment

As far as the silicone in the middle not curing that might not be so bad. Liquid tends to reduce vibration as well.

Comment

vibes on my GS1100ez

I feel it too, gonna havta try something..probly some lead fishing weight(the pecil style, got a spool of it might as well try it) wrapped around a wood dowel or something.. or just spring for some weights, altho the weights were for stability rather than anti-vibe, I think. My bike has a narrow band of high vibes, just over 4,000rpm and is ok by 4,500rpm. Something resonates at that rpm(the exhaust, I think, since it rattles when I smack it), so I'm gonna change the exhaust as well. Anyone find the exhaust contributing to the vibes?? :roll:

Comment

Re: vibes on my GS1100ez

In a way, YES. My handlebars used to buzz badly enough that my hands would be numb in 30 minutes and the exhaust pipes vibrated/buzzed. I balanced my carbs and guess what? The exhaust pipes no longer vibrate and 95% of the vibration in the handlebars is gone and I an no using any kind of weights inside the handlebars. Dont need any. :-) GS750 EN

Earl

[quote="fastusedwardus" Anyone find the exhaust contributing to the vibes?? :roll:[/quote]
                  Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
                  X