Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750E tank onto a 750L, will it work?

Hi all,

Just asking before I bodge it and find myself with an expensive bill. Has anyone tried to fit a standard GS750E (1978) petrol tank to a GS750L ('79). I've had a look at it and there seems to be three potential problems.

1. The std tank is longer (approx 2"), seat would need cutting back/reshaping (not a problem), but the bolt would need spacers to reach the extra distance. Is this likely to create problems?

2. Bigger problem. The clamps (C shaped fittings on tank) are closer together on the std tank-there seems to be enough clearance for the tank to fit IF the studs which hold the rubbers to the frame are cut down (approx 10mm each). Of course this is only a problem if I wanted to fit the old tank back on. Now what's the chance of that?? :roll:

3. Last thing the L has vacuum carbs; the E doesn't seem to have (don't see a vacuum pipe from the tap) will the L tap fit straight in?

Thanks in advance and sorry if any of these are too dumb for words.

No

Comment

The feeder tube on the "L" tap is an oval shape. It will not fit in the "E" type tank hole.

Also, if you do replace the tap with a pingle so that you can match the shape...the tap sits too close to the carbs to mount the tank correctly.

I am currently working on this problem as I believe my tank will have rusted through in some spots in another year. If I cannot find a replacement that will work without cutting a new seat for the bike I will have to have a duplicate created from sheetmetal for the GS.
      (Those college and HS metal-fab classes are a real value and they will do the work for free if you can wait till it's all done!)

Dm of mD

Comment

Many thanks for all the replies; I guess this idea is as dead as the Dodo

Ok can anyone suggest a different tank that will fit; it needs to be substantialy larger than the 13l of the current (Standard) tank.

Comment

Working...
        X