Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

will an 81 850 motor bolt up to an 83 850 frame ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

will an 81 850 motor bolt up to an 83 850 frame ?

Will a 1981 GS850 motor bolt up to a 1983 GS850 frame and swing arm?

Thanks,
    Glenn

Yes, the 850 shafty engine remained practicly the same through out it's production life.
    the only changes were cv carburators and electronic ignition added for the1980 year model.
    also there were some small internal changes for 81, but other than that every thing is the same. (why mess with a good thing)

Comment

Thanks. I appreciate the reply. The knowlege base on this list definately saves me a lot of trial and error.

Glenn

Comment

The swingarm, middle gear, and driveshaft coupling are different in the two models. You may have to take the 81 swingarm, etc., and install it on the 83. That's the only problem I see.

The differentials are the same.

Nick

Comment

850 engines

im a lttle confused. It looks like I have an 83 or 84 engine on my 79 frame. Engine number 165000. The engine is painted black not the older silver but its got points ignition. If they switched to electronic can you reverse to points ign.? Anyone know what year or designation these engine numbers would be? Oh yeah ive got 19 bolts rather than 16 holding the valve cover on. So ive got a GN frame and a GD engine???

Comment

just so you guys know......

Glenn asked the interchange question because i am interested in his '83 frame.

See, i have an '81 GS850 motor (complete and running) but the previous owner hacked the frame up. I saw his post for a frame and swingarm for sale and am HOPING that my motor will fit in his frame so i can put this beast back together. Granted, i may need a few motor mount plates and whatnot, as i can't seem to find them in all these boxes of parts lol.

Thanx for all the replies guys, it is really appreciated

wm

Comment

Re: 850 engines

Originally posted by jakes
              im a lttle confused. It looks like I have an 83 or 84 engine on my 79 frame. Engine number 165000. The engine is painted black not the older silver but its got points ignition. If they switched to electronic can you reverse to points ign.?
              Yes the 850's used the same diameter baseplate for the points and electronic igntions.
              For that matter, they shared the baseplate with the 750's and 550's too, I ran a later 850 that I picked up cheap with a blown igniter with the igniter from my 750 for a while, and because the pickups looked so different, I swopped baseplates and reluctor too. The 750 I borrowed the electronic ignition from was originally a points model....

Comment

While your at it, why don't you convert it into a chain drive........no wait, make it a belt drive. Sorry folks, just had to throw that one around again. If you catch me, you can only get one kick in.

Comment

Working...
                X