Chain Master link problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Master link problem

This is my first time installing a new O ring chain with master link on a cycle. Have it all set and need to place the clip. Having a *** time compressing the master link to slide the clip on. Tried offset needle nose pliers. Any tips are appreciated, would like to test the GS 550 for the first time. Urgent help needed--it sitting in the garage and a sunny day beckons.

tab@comcast .net

Re: Chain Master link problem

The side plates can be a very tight fit and difficult to press onto the chain link far enough to clear the grooves in the pins that the masterlink clip must set into. I put the bike on the centerstand and rotate the rear wheel (bike in neutral) until the masterlink is on the rear sprocket at about the 5 oclock position. Then I place a 1/4" drive socket over one of the pins on the masterlink with the 1/4" drive end fitted over the end of the pin in the link.
    Then take a 4" C-clamp and tighten it, pressing the end of the socket down onto the side plate. A couple turns on the first pin, the move it to the other pin and a couple turns down with the clamp, then back to the first.
    Back and forth a little at a time until the sideplate is pressed evenly onto both pins. You will be able to feel the groove that the masterlink clip needs with your fingernail when it is pressed on far enough. You can also just check how much groove you have by sliding the outside edge of the masterlink clip through it. Then put the clip into position and snap it down with a pair of needlenose pliers. (be sure to grease the pins on the masterlink before you install it) If you are installing the masterlink clip on the rear sprocket at the 5 oclock position, the closed end of the clip must be towards the rear of the bike.

Earl

Originally posted by Tabsr
    This is my first time installing a new O ring chain with master link on a cycle. Have it all set and need to place the clip. Having a *** time compressing the master link to slide the clip on. Tried offset needle nose pliers. Any tips are appreciated, would like to test the GS 550 for the first time. Urgent help needed--it sitting in the garage and a sunny day beckons.

tab@comcast .net
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

I put the link about 5:00 too. I just use channel locks correctly opened and work the link side to side. Use the clip as a feeler gauge so you don't expose too much pin. The clip will have a slight tension bend in it so you have a little margin for error. The closed end of the clip goes in the direction of travel. I use channel locks to slip the clip over the pins too. Place the slot of the clip over the "right side" pin and rotate the clip so its little "pac-man" groove is in line and against the left pin. Now place one jaw of the channel locks on the end of the left pin and the other jaw on the very rear edge of the closed end and squeeze the clip straight forward and into the left pins groove. It can take a little practice and the channel locks have to be adjusted right. Don't pinch your fingers.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Master link

Thanks for all the replies. Took awhile seating with C clamp. Next time I will by the press in Kirk caralog

Comment

Re: Master link

With a bit of practice, it takes 2-3 minutes if the side plate is a real tight fit. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by Tabsr
          Thanks for all the replies. Took awhile seating with C clamp. Next time I will by the press in Kirk caralog
          Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Working...
          X